Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: High alpine lake, brook trout.

Ditto on Kirman. First time I fished there about 7 yrs ago, I kept one of 4 brookies cuz I'd never eaten brook trout before. That fish was exactly 16" and weighed slightly over 2 1/4 lbs. Seems they're mostly fat in there.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/TOUGH+...LE.-a083844042

I spent the following summer exploring the 3 possible roads to get there, but found all three had private ranches with gates. I sooo wanted to fish it in my pontoon boat instead of float tube. Love the pontoon, and I'm spoiled by it.

Kirman is in Denny Rickards' book about trophy trout lakes of the West; there's no outflow so the quality of the fishing doesn't depend on snowpack... It's tough enough of a hike with full gear that it doesn't get too much pressure. But some weeks, you drive by the parking and there's more than 5 vehicles. Some guys camp there. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark V View Post
    It's tough enough of a hike with full gear that it doesn't get too much pressure. But some weeks, you drive by the parking and there's more than 5 vehicles. Some guys camp there. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Tough hike? Are you serious? 3 miles of flat road with one little hill. I've walked in with guys in their upper 60's. I took my mountain bike last time and from now on that is the only way I will go. I know guys that have taken in kayaks and small aluminum boats pulled on a trailer. Just have to lift them over 2 small barb fences.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Since you are a brook trout and I'm guessing scenery fan, here is a bucket list suggestion - Fortress Lake, B.C. Yosemite-like scenery in whatever direction you look and big brook trout. Some people think it will produce a record brookie in the future.

Kirman Lake update...

Sunday, my son and I returned from a two night backpacking trip to Kirman Lake. Despite the scattered thunder showers, lightening and wind, it was a pleasant time. The lake seemed very low. Probably 4' below normal, which meant that much of the lake was only 6' deep. Warm water for trout and a little concerning. The fishing was off, with only one cutty landed. Chased brookies in the early mornings, to no avail. The usual launch was too muddy, so we had to hike to the north end to launch out tubes. Lightening ran us off the lake. All in all, however, it was a beautiful hike in, under the blue moon and we enjoyed the cooler temps and clean air through the weekend. Looking forward to returning in the Fall.
    Last edited by Mike Stroud; 08-05-2015 at 08:10 AM.
    "The solution to any problem -work, love, money, whatever -is to go fly fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." -John Gierach

largest Brookies I've ever caught in CA no hike:
    Blue Lake - Modoc NF - Lassen Co. 19"/4lb football.
    Independence - 16"/3.5lb and saw a 8+lb in the DOW nets - No brookies here anymore only LCTs
    Ditto for Kirman & Red Lake (bonus LCTs in Red)

Hike in:
    Desolation - Upper Velma to Dicks Lake - 8-10 round trip all small fish willing to take dries - Use the Bay View trail, not Eagle Lake you'll be glad you did.
    Little Lake Valley - Tom's Place/Rock Creek Off hwy 395 north of Bishop - 8-10 mile round trip, loads of small fish every where.
    Lamoille Canyon Ruby Mtns - Elko NV - Great hiking & fishing. Best time is late in September when the fall color starts. Brook, brown, tiger and bows. And hardly anyone else around.

If you go to Blue Lake, check out the Pine Crk drainage. There are some small unnamed lakes up top that are worth the hike.

Tight Lines
    Dick White
    Tahoma Meadows B&B

Default Add Leavitt Lake

Add Leavitt Lake to you list of high country brookie lakes. We caught both brookies and bows. Never did figure out what the wanted most. Fly choice was pretty random.

You need an honest to goodness 4x4 with some clearance to get to this lake. City slicker SUV's should plan on getting some rocker panel hits.

Dick White
    Tahoma Meadows B&B
    Tahoma Ca

Quote Originally Posted by dickwhite View Post
    Add Leavitt Lake to you list of high country brookie lakes. We caught both brookies and bows. Never did figure out what the wanted most. Fly choice was pretty random.

You need an honest to goodness 4x4 with some clearance to get to this lake. City slicker SUV's should plan on getting some rocker panel hits.

Dick White
    Tahoma Meadows B&B
    Tahoma Ca

Good to hear, this one was already on the list but lacking any real credible feedback on the fishing. How crowded was it when you went? I'm thinking I will wait until Sept, possibly Oct when hopefully people have thinned out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP3093.jpg 
Views:	621 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	11113

Caught in Kirman in September a few years ago

Default Big Brooky....

WOW!!! Scott, that's a really nice Brooky. Beautiful coloration....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    WOW!!! Scott, that's a really nice Brooky. Beautiful coloration....

1 of 2 24" caught that day.