Thread: Most fly shops don't sell near as many extra spool now..........

Default Most fly shops don't sell near as many extra spool now..........

...........because trout fishing has changed.

When I started into the fly fishing retail in the 1960s we did not have as much to offer in the way of fly lines as we do today.

Most would only have a floating line and then maybe a few would have a full sinking line for a second line.

This was before sink-tips were invented. In the 1970s the sink-tip came along and it was a big deal. I think guys up in Oregon and Washington were making their own sink tips and then the fly line companies caught on to it.

In the 1970s we usually outfitted people with a good weight forward floating line and a 10' type 3 sink-tip line on an extra spool.

Some who fished lakes would get a third spool with a weight forward type 2 sink rate in a full sinking line.

I think around the turn of the century they invented the clear slow sinking full length fly line for trout which took over the number one lake line market.

I think indicator nymphing in streams must have gotten going in the 1980s? so most stream fly fishers only needed a floating line to fish most free stone streams, top to bottom.

A traditional lake fly fisher might have several pools with different sink rate full line on them.

Most still water addicts who fish from boats will actually have several complete outfits set up with different lines.

Today, stillwater chironomidae anglers use floating lines with special leader and indicator systems in lakes so them don't all need all those spools and full sinking lines.

Not saying that we don't sell spools, but not near as many as we did years ago.

In two-handed / Spey fishing most use looped heads today so they don't need a bunch of spools either. Full line for Spey are kind of hard to find now.

**I am only talking about what is common or popular now. Naturally, we all have our own ways of fishing and they are all good.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    ...........because trout fishing has changed.

When I started into the fly fishing retail in the 1960s we did not have as much to offer in the way of fly lines as we do today.

Most would only have a floating line and then maybe a few would have a full sinking line for a second line.

This was before sink-tips were invented. In the 1970s the sink-tip came along and it was a big deal. I think guys up in Oregon and Washington were making their own sink tips and then the fly line companies caught on to it.

In the 1970s we usually outfitted people with a good weight forward floating line and a 10' type 3 sink-tip line on an extra spool.

Some who fished lakes would get a third spool with a weight forward type 2 sink rate in a full sinking line.

I think around the turn of the century they invented the clear slow sinking full length fly line for trout which took over the number one lake line market.

I think indicator nymphing in streams must have gotten going in the 1980s? so most stream fly fishers only needed a floating line to fish most free stone streams, top to bottom.

A traditional lake fly fisher might have several pools with different sink rate full line on them.

Most still water addicts who fish from boats will actually have several complete outfits set up with different lines.

Today, stillwater chironomidae anglers use floating lines with special leader and indicator systems in lakes so them don't all need all those spools and full sinking lines.

Not saying that we don't sell spools, but not near as many as we did years ago.

In two-handed / Spey fishing most use looped heads today so they don't need a bunch of spools either. Full line for Spey are kind of hard to find now.

**I am only talking about what is common or popular now. Naturally, we all have our own ways of fishing and they are all good.
    Bill its cool to see all the insight you have had with the progression of this sport. I'm just glad we don't have to do the chuck and duck method for winter steelhead any more. I still have my old Limaglass 9' 9wt, can you imagine throwing a 15' chunck of lead core with mono as a 14 year old on that thing...ya we have it better today.

Bill,

Another thing that you didn't mention is the COST of many reels has become so cheap it's not necessary to buy a spool when you can almost buy a reel for the same price. Now I'm not talking about high end reels, we're talking about trout size reels.

What I'm referring to is the newer composite reels and all those private labeled reels made in China or Korea. Those reels don't need to have high end disc drags or forged aluminum alloys and they do a fine job for the average or beginner fly fisherman just getting started.

High end reels are still going to be high end priced. We pay for quality when we need and or can appreciate it.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Hey Nate. Not only can I imagine throwing a chunk of leadcore, I grew up with those in the 60's. Still have one in my drawer and I still have my old 12wt Fenwick. Nothing quite like a cold foggy morning on the Smith and wrapping a chunk of wet leadcore around the back of your neck. SUCH GOOD MEMORIES!

Sorry Bill for getting off track. Used to be pretty easy in the good old days. One rod for steelhead and another for pretty much everything else. And quite honestly the vast array of lines available now is just down-right confusing. But it's all good!
    Last edited by Idadon; 03-08-2016 at 12:41 PM.