With the water so low and warm, it's time to put a pause on trout fisheries and explore other options. Called up Gilligan from Gilligan's Guide Service up in Truckee and asked him what to do, and the resounding reply was CARP. It's one of those things you hear about, but don't think much about, and after getting into my first one it's all I want to do anymore haha. These things are serious bruisers. They pull insanely hard, are pure muscle, and pound for pound rival any other species out there. Add in shorts and sandals, a couple beers, and a stout 7-8wt with PLENTY of backing, and you have the perfect summer hobby.

I've seen them cruising around and cast to them before with 0 looks, had no idea what to do until I had Gilligan give me the run down on flies and presentation. It's pretty intense, sight casting to 20lb beasts where you have one shot to get it in the right spot, all the way down to the subtle twitches to get their attention. This could either be the most maddening species ever, or the most amazing depending on learning the ropes from someone who knows what to do. They're everywhere and will seriously test your endurance and equipment, total summertime game changer.

http://www.gilligansguideservice.com/