Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Christmas Island - Decisions ?

Quote Originally Posted by dynaflow View Post
    Some good advice from C.I.veterans here.The Wabnitz Worm variation was developed a couple of years back by my mate George "Bonefish" Hammer...and like the George Bush fly should be used sparingly Tie most of your Bonefish flies on #8 SL11-3H Gamakatsu hooks with the balance on #6 and a few #4.Important to note here that the SL11-3H is a big hook for it's size and the #8 is as big as other makers #6.Another favourite hook is the SL45 in #6 and #8,especially for the sparse George Bush pattern.This hook is now known as the Panfish and comes in green and black(use the black).
    Cheers
    Dynaflow has a great point here on hook size and type.
    I used tiemco 811 for the #8 flies and then Gamakatsu SL11-3H hooks in #8,6, and 4 for the #6,4, and 2 flies.
    They are definitely a size larger than the Tiemco equivalent.
    Love the SL11-3H hooks and use them for just about everything here in the surf. Tacky and tough
    A bit pricey but not bad if you buy in 100 packs.

Cheers Paul...and just for the halibut here's a thirteen pound Bonefish from Aitutaki in the Cook Islands...one of the places (along with New Caledonia) that has mostly big fish...no place for a 6wt.or 7wt.like C.I.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060156.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	10968  

Quote Originally Posted by dynaflow View Post
    Cheers Paul...and just for the halibut here's a thirteen pound Bonefish from Aitutaki in the Cook Islands...one of the places (along with New Caledonia) that has mostly big fish...no place for a 6wt.or 7wt.like C.I.
    That is so rad. A beast of a fish!
    I have fond memories of visiting Rarotonga with my folks as a kid.
    I would love to get back out there sometime with my kids
    Last edited by PaulC; 07-14-2015 at 05:37 AM.

Dynaflow (real name?),

That is definitely a trophy bone. Anything double digit is worth bragging about a little. I've only hooked one in the Keys like that and popped 12# test like it was nothing.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Hi Tony and thanks for the compliment mate,and don't worry,I've hooked and lost bigger fish that pop 20lb.tippet like cotton unless caught juuuuuust right.That horse took fifteen minutes to land off the front of a small skiff in the Aitutaki Lagoon on an 8wt.Sage ONE and 15lb.tippet..the fly was a C.I.Special tied on a #6 hook.Guide Itu Davey was poling me over the flats,and I had a big sit down after that debacle but managed six good fish for the day.The only time I'll use 12lb.tippet for Bonefish is for fussy fish,otherwise 15lb.or bigger if in rough terrain.
    Cheers
    Peter Prideaux