Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Life Advice- Starting Fresh

Default Life Advice- Starting Fresh

A few short weeks ago I finished college and had plans to go straight to work for a large general contractor here in the Sacramento Area. This was the first job offered to me and it appealed to me because of the fact I get to stay close to home and in the Sacramento Area versus the bay area.

Growing up as a kid I spent a few weeks every summer fishing the Snake, Gros Ventre, Green, Henry, Crystal Creek, and Hoback in the Jackson, Wyoming area. In the past 10 days I was able to get away and return to Jackson with my family as a way to celebrate my recent success in finishing school. While there I started thinking how awesome it would be to call the area home for at least a few years.

After sending out resumes, a few interviews, and emails I received a job offer in Jackson. It was a complete shot in the dark and had no idea it would actually pan out to a full time position.

I am coming to you guys on this board who have lived a few more years and have the wisdom I lack. Anyone here with regrets as a younger man for not making a sudden jump into the exciting and scary unknown? Anything you wish you could have done differently? How to cope with moving far from family members?

Ultimately I know the decision comes down to what I want to do. Will miss my family for sure but dont want to regret anything as I grow older.

Thanks for any advice guys,

Hayden

Hayden, DO IT, if you can find a place to live that is. Leaving Kiene's for this part of the world was the best thing to ever happen to me. There's a severe housing shortage in Jackson, and its almost as bad over here in Victor. That may make it tough.

Construction is going strong, I know builders and masons who have more work than they can handle and can't find enough employees. After paying your dues you're likely to be able to branch out on your own. I know quite few folks who went that route.

Unlike CA, we're somewhat shielded from the economy and so far the drought out here. There's plenty of work, but unfortunately not enough places to live. You know about the fishing, the drive back to Sac isn't all that bad in a day, and flights are relatively cheap. Just be sure you can handle frigid temps come October/November, we hit -30 last fall. It does still snow here though which is nice.

PM me if I can answer any questions for you on rental agencies, etc.
    Last edited by aaron; 07-01-2015 at 03:44 PM.

If I had the opportunity to get out of California like you at a young age and fresh start I'd be all over it! Good luck on your venture either way you choose!

The company in Wyoming offered a slightly bigger salary which in combination with the lack of income tax cancels out the increased cost of living. I know it isn't all about salary however.

Also will miss the opportunities Nor Cal has to swing the two hander and steelhead fish.

Hey Hayden, I had plans to go to Alaska and do oil field equipment operations. I bought a 4WD and a trailer, had it stocked with food and fishing gear. I had my 4WD's front axle go bad just after the warranty ended. My friend who had his truck and trailer ready to go left with my blessings. He had a great adventure, and I never went up. To this day I regret it! I did go thru Jackson Hole on my honeymoon, what an incredible place. I say GO FOR IT !!!!!!
    Take the road less traveled.

Go.
    I did exactly that a couple years after college, best thing I ever did.
    Then again 4 years later. Easier to do, even better result.
    Be open to new things, make new friends, who knows where it will lead you.
    Your family will always be your family, no matter where you are in the world.

do it! seriously do it
    My little fishing/fly tying blog- http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com/

Yea man, echoing everyone else here. Do it. Even if you end up coming back at some point, moving away and seeing a different part of the country is a great idea. You can make a home anywhere, and taking risks and leaving some things to chance is a great part of life that too many people are too scared to do. 100% do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Even if you end up coming back at some point, moving away and seeing a different part of the country is a great idea.
    Left home at age 17, lived on the east coast, west coast, rocky mountains, even a bit in europe. Traveled a lot in between. Never regretted any of it. Except lots of places I never got to. I am a tremendously different person as a result and I also believe different than the ones that never left home. Part of the point of such things is to meet and live among people at least a little unlike you. Whether you take this as a positive or negative is up to you. Whether you can manage the way it potentially changes the relations with your family and friends is up to you.

Wyoming -- I am from there, BTW -- doesn't have much in the steelhead department, but it has a lot of things California doesn't (e.g. hunting opportunities) and fewer of some things California has in surfeit (people, traffic, taxes).

One thing for sure, by the time you have a house, wife, kid, and dog, your time for making such moves is pretty much over. So do it now.

I think I would leave California if I was in your shoes......

We have too many grand kids here.

It is less expensive almost anywhere else.

Fishing could be a reason.

Over the years I knew lots of young professionals who went to college around Sacramento but opted for a life in places like Idaho and Montana for less money than the Bay Area but for a better quality of life.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........