Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: anchorage, ak

As far as what Tfisher says, he makes many good points, and there is nothing I have any major disagreement with. I have lived here for 38 years and I fish a lot. Alaska is just like everywhere else in that it has its ups and downs. In recent weeks I have had some of the best experiences I have ever had in 38 years. I do think there are too many people fishing and most of them are tourists. It is certainly not like it was 38 years ago or even 10 years ago. If you want good fishing Alaska still provides it, if you know where to go and when.

I personally would not break up a 9-10 day trip with Denali in the middle. Either do it first thing or not at all and save it for your next trip. Drive time from Denali to Cooper Landing under good conditions runs 6 plus hours and each direction you are driving through Anchorage with traffic. You could always find a place to stay ahead of time in Talkeetna and use a boat shuttle/water taxi, if it still exists it is called Mahay's Water Taxi Service, up to Clear Creek. If you hit it right, there is fantastic dollie, rainbow and possibly silver fishing to be had. Know that you won't be alone and the bear thing fishing solo can be bothersome. I don't see you doing anything other than deep dredge nymphing eggs for your time frame for rainbows and dollies. Silvers can be had swinging deep as well. It will be tough with switch until you hit the Kenai around Cooper Landing. I would definitely try the coastal streams down along the Cook Inlet between Soldotna and Homer for fresh silvers and possible steelhead. Don't bother with the fly out unless you have money to burn and have fully funded your retirement. Folks fish below the highway on those coastal streams for silvers, but steelhead can be caught both below and above the highway on the swing. Lodging and camping in Anchor Point is cheap.

If you don't want to fish for a couple of days, hit Denali. See if you can still get a spot at Wonder Lake Campground- its a backpack walk in campground with views of Denali that you see in calendars and coffee table books when the weather gods permit viewing with a three day minimum. You don't have to stay three days, just pay for it. Leave after the weather clears and you get your photos. If the weather is not ideal, you just see the base otherwise. Or just take the 10 hour bus ride round trip to Wonder Lake and back to the visitor center. If your goal is to mainly fish, blow off Denali and head toward Cooper Landing as has been suggested and work your way toward Homer over your stay. There will be other traveling fishermen in the area with good intel where to locate fish. Don't be afraid to engage your fellow angler for help and advice. The guide thing can be good, but don't spend more than one day. Either fish the Refuge for with the guide or below Skilak the first part of your trip. Know ahead of time that the Refuge (upper Kenai) is motorless and below Skilak (lower Skilak) allows boats with motors. Know that the upper Kenai floats look more like a continuous hatch and everyone just gets in line. Its your call what you want to do for your timeframe. Best of luck narrowing your focus. You picked an excellent time to be up there. I hope this helps more than confuses you.

As far as rods, leave the 4 wt at home unless you want to break it. It will work if you decide to hike into lake for grayling and there is no wind. Otherwise, you are under gunned for your timeframe with that 4 wt.
    Last edited by gitt; 07-06-2015 at 03:22 PM. Reason: added a thought

I guess the bottom line is do your research, make some calls to some guides, forget what you see on TV and at fly shows, have a good plan in place and enjoy yourself. Alaska is great, Alaskans are great, so no matter what the weather and fish gods throw at you, it's still all good (and much better than staying home and having regrets). Looking forward to your report.

Thanks everyone, this has been helpful. The reason for the Denali break is my wife flys in on Friday and out on Tuesday and I have always heard good things about the park, plus I like national parks. The info about travel time is helpful, that is something that doesn't really come across with maps. I have been looking into going to Alaska for the last 4 yrs, to include reading a lot of posts on here, but between the high cost of airfare and the lack of information it has been hard to decide to go. Now the airfare is cheap (about 350 round trip) I am trying to get as much info as possible. Mostly what I run into are lodges of one sort or another and that is what the local guides always say " go to x lodge". While I like to fish, I also like to drive and look around and just hang out, so the thought of going to a lodge for a week just doesn't seem like a great idea for me.

So I will check out those places listed and call those guide services and see what I can put together.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Tom

If you are looking to do more driving and hanging out you might consider renting an RV in Anchorage and driving where you please. Many campgrounds are free after Labor Day and it will give you much more freedom to explore since you won't be bound to any particular hotels. Most of our trips have been done from an RV and it has always worked well for us.

Do you have a preferred rv rental company you use? That sounds like a pretty good idea. I was thinking of bringing a tent up but this might be better.

Quote Originally Posted by rouleur35 View Post
    Do you have a preferred rv rental company you use? That sounds like a pretty good idea. I was thinking of bringing a tent up but this might be better.
    Bob makes a good point. Check out ABC RV Rentals on the web. Their price drop occurs after Labor Day to get one. They pick you up and drop you off at the airport and they are close to the airport. A 30' RV is doable.

If your wife is flying up, stick to your Denali run. Sounds as though this is no longer fishing only week.

Great Alaskan RV company is the best of the bunch. Rates wise etc, cleanliness, model choices etc. Chris and I have used them exclusively.
    Carpe Piscis!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ><((((º>
    ><((((º> ><((((º>

Thanks for the advice. I have got my rv reservations through great American and got a day booked with Stacy Corbin and a day booked with his employee Scott.

Any other suggestions or advice?

Thanks
    Tom

Swing leeches and drift beads just like on the klamath while you explore the kenai. Monster rainbows