Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: anchorage, ak

Default anchorage, ak

HI,

For some reason delta has decided to sell tickets to Alaska cheaper than I have seen over the last couple of years so I have decided to finally go. I am flying in to Anchorage sep 8 and out the 17th. I am planning on renting a car. I will admit I am somewhat overwhelmed due to all of the different things I have heard so I am turning here for advice. My basic plan is to fish and explore Tues to Fri. Friday head to Denali for the weekend. Thinking about a fly out fishing trip on Monday and then more fishing Tues and Wed.

I am looking for suggestions on hotels, camping options, guide options ( both fly out and driving), dining and anything else you would think is important. Also I am thinking I will bring 4 rods so looking for recommendations on what to bring as well.

Generally I don't mind doing things by myself and have a lot of experience in the backcountry.

Any and all advice appreciated.

thanks,
    tom

As far as dining in Anchorage, I like The Glacier Brewhouse and The Moose's Tooth.

We use the Puffin Inn in Anchorage because it's close to the airport and car rental. Just down the street from the Puffin Inn is Gwenie's and they have a good breakfast, and just next to them is Alaska Express Car Rental and I've found they have the best rates. Since you are going Sept 8 and that is "after season," you will get very good car rental rates for your trip to Denali. Check the weather forecast before heading to Denali so you aren't disappointed by not seeing the mountain.

I fish the Bristol Bay region, so I will leave it to others to advise you about fishing around Anchorage. I will say that a lot of people from the lower states have misconceptions about Anchorage and the surrounding areas - it's a regular large city, spread out, and not wilderness by any means. Just don't want you to be disappointed. These days, like so many other places, it takes some effort to get into the wilderness in Alaska.

Take your fire-proof waders!

Quote Originally Posted by Calvillo View Post
    Take your fire-proof waders!
    Fireproof waders will probably be a necessity in most western states this year. Very sad.

Agreed 110%, need to get smart quick.

Thanks, I will check out those restaraunts car rental and hotel
    Any rod or guide or fly out guide suggestions?

I will bring my fireproof waders

Rod situation depends on what you will be fishing for. Could be anywhere from 4 or 5wt for grayling, 6 to 8wt for trout and salmon.

I see you're in Lodi. I would suggest lunch at the Avenue Grill and see if you can talk to the owner, Mike. He fishes in AK and has done the Kenai area several times.

Thanks,
    That is what I was wondering. I have found it difficult to figure out what fish will be around then so that is one of the reasons I was asking. I like to be prepared and was thinking of 4 rods so mayb a 4, 6, 8 and switch in a 6; or should I bring 5 or 6. I really hate being unprepared.

i live right by that place and it is a favorite breakfast place when I am looking for a big good breakfast so maybe I will have to get back there.

Thanks,
    Tom

OK, here goes. The time you will be here is prime time for big rainbows on the Kenai River. Also available then are silver (coho) salmon. There are many excellent guides on the Kenai but all of the ones I know will be booked. I suggest you contact Troutfitters in Cooper Landing and see if they can find you a spot. You might also try Stacy Corbin at Mystic Waters to see if he can recommend someone. All of the Kenai guides will have gear and you just need to show up with waders, rain gear, lunch, and money. There is some DIY on the Kenai if you know what you are doing but save time and anguish and go with a guide. If you are driving to Denali, some of the Parks Highway streams can be incredible at that time for rainbows. Bring a 7 wt, with a Rio indicator line. In early Sept the bite will be on beads, but you can also try articulated leeches and flesh. The weather in Sept can be gorgeous and warm (50) but if can also be cold and very wet. Your plans for driving and fishing don't make sense to me. Denali is a long ways away, so go there and fish up north and then go south for fishing or vice versa. Otherwise you will be driving the same roads several times. As far as flyouts, there are many options and it just depends on how much you want to spend.

Read Fisheye's response. His information is accurate and I will only add a few points to help you out.

1st point is: You can't do it all. Denali + devoted fishing in AK in 9 days is a very narrow window to try and fit it all in. Factor in variable weather (2011 & 2012 Sept. was blown on the Peninsula i.e. flooding) cancellations and your timeframe shrinks even more.

2nd point (related to first): Decide what you want to focus on. Is Denali a must, or does fishing come first? What species is the primary interest? Rainbows and Coho will be the major players at that time. If on the Peninsula - likely due to its proximity to Anchorage you'll be focusing on the upper Kenai near Coopers Landing (since its a non-pink year and the fires and rains will likely muddy up the middle below Skilak). There are numerous guides for this area - though I am somewhat jaded and don't personally recommend any. Fisheye provided two well known reputable operations that are likely booked (Popular guides book a year or so in advance during this timeframe).

3rd Point: Flyouts are unlikely - There are no really premiere "fly out" options from Anchorage. Everyone flies to another part of AK and then goes out from there to the premiere fishing zones. Anchorage is just a hub. Fly outs to these locations require logistics - lodging and are pricey. The best destinations near Anchorage that can be hit in a day are easily accessible to everyone else and are therefore not worth the $ IMO. Maybe a coho destination, but IMO I wouldn't spend my $.

4th Point: I've fished this area extensively during this same timeframe nearly every year since 2008. I've had some spectacular - world class - fishing throughout much of my experience, but the most recent trips have been major disappointments. Its unclear if AK in this area is suffering through a major down cycle - as is Bristol Bay, if increased pressure has reduced the quality of the fishery, or if my early experiences jaded me. In either case, I have much lower expectations now for AK - and have considered it less as a fishing destination. Keep your expectations in check and you will have a good time. The fishing there can be amazing, and it can also be poor, consider yourself lucky to experience either, but note that it can go either way and that the books and information you will read are WAY out of date. It isn't the AK of old.
    Last edited by Tfisher; 07-06-2015 at 02:44 PM.
    Carpe Piscis!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ><((((º>
    ><((((º> ><((((º>