Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sage IV 1474-1 - Need help deciding

Default Sage IV 7141-4 - Need help deciding

Advanced beginner here looking for insight on a Sage IV 7141-4. Has anyone owned one? Impressions? I have a perfect condition, hardly used 7141-4. I bought it becuase it was a Sage and thought it might be a good salmon rod. It's mint, but it now sits in the closet all year. Everytime I take it out, I'm blown away by it and decide to keep it longer. But I don't use it enough. Now, I'm thinking about a lighter spey or switch for the American, so selling would go twards that. Thanks for any insight on this type rod and/or advice. Cheers.
    Last edited by ZWhit; 06-27-2015 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Typo fix

Do you mean a 7141?

Oops. Typo. Yes. Thanks for catching.

OK, here is my take.

If you like the rod, I'd say keep it. You sell it, at some point, you'll probably regret it. That rod is now several technology generations back, and, while it has its fans, is not likely to get a lot on the secondary market. So if the intent would be to put the funds into another rod, you'll probably be trading down, possibly quite a lot, in terms of build quality.

If it were me, I'd keep it, for a bunch of reasons, at least if you don't have a closet full of spey rods, which it sounds like you don't. I don't have that particular rod, but I do have its sibling, the 6126. Despite the progress of technology, in ways some of the older rods are more forgiving and fun to fish than their more contemporary descendants. Second, while I recognize I'm a bit against local fashion here, I don't believe having a 14' 7/8-class rod in the quiver is unreasonable for NorCal. 14' is on the long side, but -- excepting maybe the smallest venues like the upper trinity -- not too long to fish most places, at least if you know what you're doing. And in some times and places, the extra reach and control can be useful. Neither is a heavy-7 or 8- weight rod too heavy, particularly in winter, with bigger fish, bigger water, bigger flies. Definitely a good backup rod, even if you get a shorter, lighter primary.

At 14' length, I'd say take advantage of that, get a NextCast FF or WA 45 or, better, 55, and up your game.

This is great info. You actually answered a few linger questions about the length being too big for around here too. Another concern you helped clarify was that it's a great rod, but with possibly no significant secondary market to make it worth selling. Thanks for taking the time. Much appreciated.

The 7141 is a great 9 weight rod... yes, it takes close to 600-650 grains to properly load it (7 weight grain window is usually 450-525). The 7141 is a great rod for fighting big steelhead (15-25 lbs) on big water when big flies are needed. Unfortunately its not good rod for local fisheries. A true 7 weight or even a 6 weight is all that needed. I would recommend staying under the 13' length. I fish 12'-12'6" in CA and Southern OR and my clients usually prefer this size rod to fish with as its lighter in hand, easier to cast and promotes the "fight" when hooked up. I would recommend selling the 7141 as quickly as possible (get what you can for it) and upgrade to Sage One or comparable. You'll be happy that you did and you'll never miss the "Beast". You can meet me on the American River if you'd like to try out a lighter spey rod. You can contact me through my website. Good luck, JP
    Jeff Putnam
    JP Flyfishing Schools
    http://jpflyfishing.com

Thanks Jeff. The ideal solution is to keep it, but also get another rod! I like this idea the best, lol. Any idea what I would sell this rod for if I did? Checking our your website. Thanks for the insight.

I'd fish for kings with that thing, and with a big smile on my face!

Quote Originally Posted by ZWhit View Post
    The ideal solution is to keep it, but also get another rod! I like this idea the best, lol.
    At the end of the day, if you like casting the rod and can manage the length wherever you fish, it is not, by definition, too big/long/heavy/whatever, other opinions notwithstanding. Conversely if it feels too big/heavy/long/whatever to you, probably it is, at least at your experience level. Personally I fish about a foot longer and a weight class, maybe two, heavier than seems to be typical around here based on what I read, 13'6" 7wts in summer, a 13'9" 8-wt in winter. Sometimes a 14' true 9-wt as a second/backup rod in winter, mostly as I just happen to have one that I like fishing every now and again. Those selections are personal preference and doubtless have a lot to do with what I'm used to casting/fishing. Though there have been runs and fish where I was glad to have the bigger stick. Such choices are not typical, but not wrong either. There is no one-size-fits all spey rod, sometimes it can be good to have options, both shorter and longer, lighter and heavier.

Having said that, time with Jeff, and/or with some lighter rods, would definitely be time well spent (disclosure: Jeff is one of my teachers).

If you have the coin to put down for a One, a Meiser Highlander or Burkheimer would be worth a look too. Personally, the times I've cast them, I've found the One's high-performance and light in hand, but a bit twitchy in timing. Many other options in the mid-range that I'm sure the Kiene's folk would be happy to discuss.

Any idea what I would sell this rod for if I did?
    Will send a PM.

Thanks troutless and John Sv for your input. Depending on the day I sway between troutless and Jeff's view points. If I keep it as a back up or occaional caster, I wouldn't be dissappointed. It's a beauty. At the same time I would use something in the lighter range more. Thinking...

In the meantime, anyone have thoughts on a moderatley priced light switch/spey for trout?

Troutless, thanks for the PM.