Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: River Closures

Default River Closures

Just got the word that guides were informed that salmon and steelhead fishing will be closed for the season on any tributary to the Sac whenever water temps are 70 degress for 72 hours. I hope the strong El Nino prediction comes true!

Cameron Beck just sent me a copy of the proposed emergency regulation and here's the criteria for closing a river:

"The following proposed criteria will be used to determine if an emergency fishing closure or
    associated reopening is warranted:
    Any water of the state not currently listed in Section 8.00 of these regulations may be
    closed to fishing by the Department when the Director, or his or her designee, determines
    one or more the following conditions have been met:
     Water temperatures in occupied habitat exceed 70° Fahrenheit for over eight hours a
    day for three consecutive days.
     Dissolved oxygen levels in occupied habitat drop below 5 mg/L for any period of time
    over three consecutive days.
     Fish passage is impeded or blocked for fish species that rely on migration as part of a
    life history trait.
     Water levels for ponds, lakes and reservoirs drop below 10% of their capacity.
     Adult breeding population levels are estimated to be below 500 individuals."

There's also proposed criteria for reopening closed rivers.

Jeff

Default Closures....???

These proposed emergency regs include more waters than just rivers/streams.

"Water levels for ponds, lakes and reservoirs drop below 10% of their capacity."

What is seen as being an emergency??? Reservoirs are almost always below 10% capacity regardless of whether it's a wet year or not. Under this new reg, All of the reservoirs in the state could be closed to fishing every year during draw downs for diversion, flood control, holding back salt water intrusion, etc., etc. Who's sponsoring this proposal??

This proposal appears to illustrate how one part of government doesn't have any idea what the other is doing or what current water conditions are. Check out SB 345 currently going thru the CA Assembly which is titled the Sport Fishing Stimulation Act.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Emergency Regs....???

Jeff,.... I was unable to locate anything about this on the CA SWRCB website. Was the issuing agency other than SWRCB??? Has an official notice been issued on it?? Do you have a document number, etc.???

Thanks for any help....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post

"Water levels for ponds, lakes and reservoirs drop below 10% of their capacity."

What is seen as being an emergency??? Reservoirs are almost always below 10% capacity regardless of whether it's a wet year or not. Under this new reg, All of the reservoirs in the state could be closed to fishing every year during draw downs for diversion, flood control, holding back salt water intrusion, etc., etc. Who's sponsoring this proposal??

This proposal appears to illustrate how one part of government doesn't have any idea what the other is doing or what current water conditions are. Check out SB 345 currently going thru the CA Assembly which is titled the Sport Fishing Stimulation Act.

I don't think I've ever seen a lake drawn down below 10% for flood control. What lakes do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    Cameron Beck just sent me a copy of the proposed emergency regulation and here's the criteria for closing a river:

"The following proposed criteria will be used to determine if an emergency fishing closure or
    associated reopening is warranted:
    Any water of the state not currently listed in Section 8.00 of these regulations may be
    closed to fishing by the Department when the Director, or his or her designee, determines
    one or more the following conditions have been met:
     Water temperatures in occupied habitat exceed 70° Fahrenheit for over eight hours a
    day for three consecutive days.
     Dissolved oxygen levels in occupied habitat drop below 5 mg/L for any period of time
    over three consecutive days.
     Fish passage is impeded or blocked for fish species that rely on migration as part of a
    life history trait.
     Water levels for ponds, lakes and reservoirs drop below 10% of their capacity.
     Adult breeding population levels are estimated to be below 500 individuals."

There's also proposed criteria for reopening closed rivers.

Jeff

This should've been done either way. Montana shuts down rivers exceeding 70 degrees. We need to take care of our resources. If people complain there are other species that can be targeted. Great thing about fishing is all fish have to eat.

Darian,

It was in a pdf sent to all licensed guides. Apparently the Fish and Game Commision approved the proposed emergency regualtory action at their 6/11/15 meeting. PM me you email address and I'll foward the pdf to you.

Jeff

The SAC has been at 76 degrees for weeks. The Feather has been at 71 degrees but drops back to 68 degrees at night.

Now, with all the low water flows it will warm even more quickly. I have no doubt the SAC will reach 80 degrees before very long.
    The other morning we took some fish from the SAC and they felt warm to the touch and the water was like a bath tub.

Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Darian, It's from the Fish and Game Commission. PM me your email address and I'll forward it to you. Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post

What is seen as being an emergency??? Reservoirs are almost always below 10% capacity regardless of whether it's a wet year or not.
    No agency that I know of routinely lowers their pool to less than 10% capacity if they can help it. This is costly in terms of silt discharge, pump wear, vegetation build up, etc. I think you are misconstruing the wording. "Below 10% capacity" means that a 100 acre pond would be holding less than 9.9 acres of water.