Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Towing travel trailer and want to bring drift boat, any ideas?

Default Towing travel trailer and want to bring drift boat, any ideas?

I have a few vacations planned this year where I will be taking my travel trailer AND would like to bring my drift 16' drift boat. Any creative ways of doing this so I do not need to make multiple trips? Looking into making a rack similar to a lumber rack for my truck. Truck is a long bed, extended cab dodge. Any suggestions would be great, thank you!

Brad

Any chance the boat can fit in the truck bed? Even its its long, just tie it in well with a red flag on longest point. Or perhaps put the bow over the truck cab, and stern against tailgate.

They tow three in a row in many states but maybe not in CA?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Eide boat loader might work.

You can tow doubles (two trailers) in CA.

CA Vehicle Code 35401 - No vehicles in combination may measure more than 65 feet in length (60’ in designated areas)

Randy B is correct, if the driver holds a Commercial License (Class A now, used to be class 1). I had one when I was a commercial officer and drove a friend's travel trailer and boat trailer behind it. I got stopped in Fairfield after passing the scales and it took the officer a couple of minutes to realize that my license allowed for the operation of any combination of vehicles up to 65'. It wasn't fun to drive and I made up my mind before I fired up the rig that I was NEVER going to put it in reverse.

I have been told by someone" lying fisherman" that the middle trailer that is hooked to the truck has to be either a 5th wheel or gooseneck set-up and that the last trailer has to be equipped with trailer brakes. Not sure if this to keep the length limitation legal or its just a safer set-up or both. Anyone know how true this is? I have a commercial lic. with a doubles endorsement. I was planning on selling my pop-up truck camper to make the wife more comfortable when we do our Klamath trip. I plan on hauling my jet boat with it.
    I am curious PGW, was it like pulling any other doubles? Or was it nerve racking? And not only will I not put the rig in a place that I have to back up, but I am going to put a receiver up front.
    Anyone know the real "doubles" rules?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Rockman; 06-22-2015 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Misspelled words

Default Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
    I have been told by someone" lying fisherman" that the middle trailer that is hooked to the truck has to be either a 5th wheel or gooseneck set-up and that the last trailer has to be equipped with trailer brakes. Not sure if this to keep the length limitation legal or its just a safer set-up or both. Anyone know how true this is? I have a commercial lic. with a doubles endorsement. I was planning on selling my pop-up truck camper to make the wife more comfortable when we do our Klamath trip. I plan on hauling my jet boat with it.
    I am curious PGW, was it like pulling any other doubles? Or was it nerve racking? And not only will I not put the rig in a place that I have to back up, but I am going to put a receiver up front.
    Thanks
    I have a call to my friend at CHP I will let everyone know as soon as I here from her!

By the way Almanor Hex Hatch is awesome!
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
    Thanks
    The travel trailer was a 5th wheel with electric brakes and the boat trailer had surge brakes, and it was not like driving a set of doubles, even though the boat was a 19 foot Bayliner, that trailer bounced around back there and could be seen in my mirrors using almost the entire lane. What I had was a power unit (the pickup truck) a 5th wheel travel trailer and a pull trailer...may have been a less hectic ride if everything had combined trailer brakes and maybe a dolley connecting the travel trailer to a 5th wheel boat trailer.
    Last edited by pgw; 06-23-2015 at 06:28 AM.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I've done re search on the getting a commercial license and with a doubles endorsement but found out that since I'm a type 1 Insulin dependant diabetic that I will be un able to obtain a commercial license...damn, back to the drawing boards!

Great news on the Hex Lance I will be there Thurs-Mon!

Brad