Thread: Call Shad Experts: Beginner question.

Default Calling Shad Experts: Beginner question.

Beginner question: I've been shad fishing a lot, but loosing a most of them (LDR). I understand fish fight all the way in and can/will come off, especialy since I de-barb my flies. But, I see fly guys who land fish one after another, no problem. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm taking too much time to reel them in? Maybe not enough time. They're one the hook, I can feel the weight of the fish. This has happened with bead chain flies and scuds. 1 to hand 10 pop off. Any insight or thoughts, or is that just shad fishing?

Many Thanks!

Z
    Last edited by ZWhit; 06-18-2015 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Spelling error in title

Default Shad Questions....???

Not sure I can help that much but can offer some thoughts. Shad have tender mouth and can easily tear loose. They, also, fight hard. Combine that with using small, barbless flies and a 9' (??), light pound test leader and it's easy to see how they can get loose.

Several other factors impact catch rates on Shad, too. For example, drag settings (if used) and whether you keep a tight line during the fight.

Maybe Jeff Ching (our Shad Guru) will offer his expertise....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Thanks for the feedback. I have a moderately firm drag setting and I do keep a tight line. I did notice while shooting shad underwater with my gopro, that they would dive down to the rocks and spin. I always assumed it was because the line was restricting them, but I'm wondering if that's one way they loosen the hook from their mouth?

Key thing in getting a shad in without them popping off is to make sure that your line is alway tight. Keeping your rod tip up high helps. Shad pull hard and will turn sideways pinning themselves down deep. Getting them near the surface and in vertical plane will help to get them under control. I normally don't worry about drag settings becausing I hand strip most of the shad I hook in ("Did you Ching 'em in?").

Thanks, Jeff. Ah... I haven't been doing these things: 1) Holding my rod tip up high. It's more like 2-2:30. 2) Not bringing them near the surface or in a vertical plane. I will try these things tonight/tomorrow. Great info! Thanks for the tips.

Many of us have developed our skills fishing for the American Shad.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........