Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wading On The Pit River?

Very good basic information:

The only tip I would add would be shin guards for wet wading; a neutral color that fits.

Fished Pit 3-4 last weekend and it was on fire. Pit 3 was especially good because of the cooler water, which was around 62-64 all weekend. Pit 4 was warming to around 70 and the fish were staging in the bubbles and made fishing a little more tricky, having to use more shot to get the flies down quick in the pocket water. Small flies were out produced bigger flies for me - #18 micro mayfly, #16 pt's, #14 micro goldens stones were all good. Swinging nymphs in the long runs was good in the evening as well as a stimulator/micro may dropper in the pocket water.

The wading was tricky as usual in the high flows. Since the weather was warm we decided to wade/swim most of the time. A roll top bag is essential here, as well as a stiff wading staff and felt/cleats. One benefit to swimming to the other side is often times there's untouched water that people cant get to, especially on Pit 4 where flows were 520 and swimming was the only way to get across. I think a 7mm wetsuit will be my new type of "waders" on the Pit when the water cools off, since it's good for protection on rocks and keeps you warm when having to swim across some of the deep runs. I can't imaging staying dry in my waders on the Pit anymore. Here are few pics from the trip

Wet wading the Pit is the best when it's hot! No big deal if you go down cuz
    it's hella refreshing anyways. Man, I can't wait to fish it this summer.

The tail on the last fish is huge! Nice specimens.

Flows of 520 is lame for Pit 4. I used to fish it when it was 250-300 cfs, (as I recall)
    before they raised the flows a few years ago. 375 cfs give or take a tad, would be perfect
    and way less dangerous. I don't fish it nearly as often as I used to since the flows were raised.
    Way less water, imho. A few of my favorite side channels to fish on 4 went sayonara.

Guess I need to start swimming

Cool report Notch.

EO
    Last edited by EricO; 06-28-2015 at 06:47 PM.

I was up there 2 weeks ago and wet waded in my knee high moc's w/ stealth rubber soles and they worked great in that the 1/4" thick leather acted as built in shin guards. Fished mainly pit 4 and largest to hand was 15", but got broke off by 2 big fish on 3x