Thread: West slope Creekin'

Default West slope Creekin'

Caught some beautiful little bows in a beautiful little creek in the Yuba Basin. Curious about the orange bellies and the overall reband-ness to their look. Behnke in his book only has red bands down to the Feather. Might this have some red band to it?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4511.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	10887Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4514.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	10888

Sure looks like the redbands that I was catching up in Tumalo Creek near Bend last summer.

Are there Steelhead in the stream? Inland redbands are indistinguishable from steelhead in the Deschutes, which is the reason you have to release fish over I believe it's 20" (in the Deschutes). Can't tell how big the fish is, but it could be a young steelhead, or a stocked redband. Some redbands also have a vestigial orange slash on the jaw.

I'm not sure if this is within steelhead or native trout range. As for current times, there are two dams below. The South Yuba River Citizen's league considers the area around our house falls to be both a thermal and velocity barrier to anadromous fish. But with the Sierra being pretty dynamic and I'm not sure where Our House falls came in vs. previous invasions of red bands or coastal 'bows. A buddy thinks they are ex-McCloud red-bands, stocked in old times from a transfer from the Feather Basin. HE also alluded to Feather red bands being pioneer-transplanted McCloud red bands.
    Fun to day dream about though, instead of reading title reports...

I bet Mr. Cutter has some beta.
    Paging Mr. Cutter, paging Mr. Cutter...