Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Thinking of an Oregon Trip or Going to the FFF Fair in Bend?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    Gregg, I'll actually be in Camp Sherman the 20th thru the 25th. Let me know if you will in the area that time fishing, maybe we can meet up.

And no worries Mike, I am a 100% catch and release kind of guy! All I take are pictures and memories!!
    I'm gonna jump on the Deschutes for sure one day, would love to connect at the Metolius if we can swing it. I'll shoot you a PM with my #, would be cool to link up if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvillo View Post
    so enjoy the scenery and take a trip to the springs where the river bubbles up out of the ground.
    I plan to go see that as well and the hatchery. And if I catch 1 fish, I am happy. My days of being upset about not catching fish are long gone. It is all about nature for me!
    Last edited by Scott V; 06-12-2015 at 10:03 AM.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Wow, coincidence...I'll actually be in Bend this year exactly during that time and I didn't even know about the FFF. I usually end up fishing the Fall River when I'm in the area as it's close to where I stay. Would love to learn more if you have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by chicowildcat View Post
    Wow, coincidence...I'll actually be in Bend this year exactly during that time and I didn't even know about the FFF. I usually end up fishing the Fall River when I'm in the area as it's close to where I stay. Would love to learn more if you have a chance.
    Book would be perfect for you. Don't mean to hard sell, but it's got the info someone unfamiliar with the area can use.

Also, I started this book more than a year ago, as something else, and it evolved into the book. Until March when I was in negotiation with a publisher I didn't know that Bend was the location for this year's FFF Fair. The book tells how to fish the best rivers around Bend, and I couldn't imagine a better event for this specific book. So I know what you mean about coincidence, the planets aligning, or whatever you want to call it.
    Last edited by Calvillo; 06-13-2015 at 10:18 AM. Reason: error

One last post at Jim Wilkins request. A sample from the Crooked River section about inland redband trout and fishing the Crooked.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Redband Waters - C.R.SampleSprd.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	10879

Edit: Here's text on the redbands since the photo isn't big enough to read:
    Inland redband trout are native fish east of the Cascade Range, from British Columbia & Alberta, Canada south to Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Northern California, Northern Nevada and Northwestern Montana. Once thought to be a type of cutthroat trout because of traces of an orange slash on the lower jaw, redbands are really a rainbow subspecies, Oncorhynchus mykiss gairdneri. Kamloops trout and some steelhead are also O. m. gairdneri.

Redbands were named for the red band along their lateral line. These fish can survive slightly warmer water temperatures found in some Great Basin rivers. They spawn in the spring, so take care to avoid their redds.
    Hooking these trout means a good fight that often includes aerial acrobatics. Smaller Crooked redbands may convince you you’re king of the river, but larger and wiser fish are happy to saw your tippet in two on mid-stream boulders. These trout can be very selective, but when you find the right fly, they will be quite willing to inhale it.

Mountain whitefish (Prosopium williamsoni) also swim in the Crooked and are accidently hooked when nymphing in slower water. Fish moderate to fast water or a dry-fly and you are more likely to find a redband. Though not usually a target, some of the Crooked’s fat mountain whitefish can give you a tussle.
    Last edited by Calvillo; 06-13-2015 at 10:04 AM. Reason: photo doesn't go large enough to read text

I saw the book is available on preorder on Amazon, is that a good place to buy or do you get a lesser cut? Thanks.

Default Casting Course in Bend, OR

While in Bend I highly recommend going to the Orvis store located in the Old Mill section of town on the Deschutes. There is a fly fishing casting course with 18 targets on both sides of the river. Some on the river, a small pond, and others on grass. Casting at various distances some with obstacles to avoid, and different casting styles e.g. roll cast etc. Includes a large (5 ft.) hoop to toss your yarn through. It is free and do it yourself. It would be major cool if we could build something like this locally!

http://www.bendbulletin.com/slidesho...fishing-course
    http://www.examiner.com/article/chec...eschutes-river
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old-mill-fly-fishing-pond.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	10880  

Quote Originally Posted by chicowildcat View Post
    I saw the book is available on preorder on Amazon, is that a good place to buy or do you get a lesser cut? Thanks.
    CWC, the Amazon link was put up by Amato Publications. I felt we needed to move a little faster on printing the book, partly to have it ready for the FFF Fair in Bend.

So I'm publishing the book myself, it's on pre-sale, and you can order it at the link below. First books should be shipping around July 4th. During the pre-sale I'm signing all the copies and taking care of the shipping.

Notice that the Amazon listing has it slated for an August release and I'm going to have it out at least 30 days sooner.

https://squareup.com/market/dancing-...d-publications

Excellent, I'll be buying a couple from your site! Neat about the fly casting course, sounds like a lot of fun!

The Presses are Rolling!

Prototype book is approved. Start shipping in 10 days to 2 weeks!

Still offering free shipping and signed copies.
    https://squareup.com/market/dancing-...d-publications
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RollingPresses.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	10902
    Last edited by Calvillo; 06-19-2015 at 03:11 PM.