Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Thinking of an Oregon Trip or Going to the FFF Fair in Bend?

Default Anyone Thinking of an Oregon Trip or Going to the FFF Fair in Bend?

If so, stop by the FFF booth when I'm signing my new book, Redband Trout Waters: A Fly-Fishing Road Trip to the Crooked, Deschutes & Metolius Rivers.

https://squareup.com/market/dancing-...d-publications

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Redband Waters - CMYKCovers2001Final4.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	10876
    Last edited by Calvillo; 06-12-2015 at 09:19 AM.

As a matter of fact, I am headed that way on my vacation in 2 days. I'll be camping at Camp Sherman for a week after I spend a week at Crater Lake.

Can you offer me any tips on getting my first bull trout on the Metolius?
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Default Big Trouts

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    As a matter of fact, I am headed that way on my vacation in 2 days. I'll be camping at Camp Sherman for a week after I spend a week at Crater Lake.

Not a guide and have never caught a bull on the Met, plus I don't think you can target Bulls. With that out of the way, I'd get/tie some mouse and other streamer patterns to drag past places large redbands that like to eat more than bugs would be. Downed trees, undercut banks, all the prime lies a big fish would own. Talk to the peeps at the Camp Sherman store, or the Fly Fisher's Place in Sisters.

You might get there just as the Green Drakes start to rise fish. I'd have those and golden stone patterns for sure. I'd also, camp or park such that I could walk from Lower Bridge downstream a good ways.

I know a guide, who is actually in the book, who could give you good advice. I saw the pictures.

It's legal to target, but not take bulls on the Met. All you get is a pic and a memory. 😊 Most use big bushy streamers. I had luck with articulated bunny leeches, but not sure that's the best answer...but down deep definitely IS...and I was throwing to brush piles and structure.

@Scott - Drop into the Camp Sherman store and say hey to Rodger, super rad spot. The Metolius is hands down the most beautiful river I've ever fished. Definitely throw big articulated streamers in white or grey and strip hard, monster bulls are in there lurking. For the redbands I don't think I've ever thrown so many patterns at the same fish (aquarium hole) and had so many refusals without the fish getting spooked. I don't know...maybe 20 flies later he finally took a small PT in a #20. Colors are insane, river is beautiful. Just getting one fish (that hopefully isn't a whitefish) makes the whole day worth it. I have a buddy who lives up there and is on the Met daily and hammers them, if you're on IG, he's TheBurrrprint. Tons of solid pics. I'm sure he'd lend some info if you DM him and tell him I sent you. Have fun up there, we're headed up week after next.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post

Thanks everyone for the info, I have a box of articulated streamers just for this trip.

Gregg, I'll actually be in Camp Sherman the 20th thru the 25th. Let me know if you will in the area that time fishing, maybe we can meet up.

And no worries Mike, I am a 100% catch and release kind of guy! All I take are pictures and memories!!
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

I fished a day for Redbands there and had to go on suicide watch

Thinking about it daily. Trip planned? No.

Quote Originally Posted by mikel View Post
    It' a river that you can't expect numbers on, you'll be frustrated if you aren't ok with that going in. You might catch 2 or 3 fish all day, or none, so enjoy the scenery and take a trip to the springs where the river bubbles up out of the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by mikel View Post
    Hahaha most true statement this board has ever seen