Thread: Good book - Nine Passes

Default Good book - Nine Passes

All - I just finished reading Nine Passes by Todd Bruce. It's about his 300 mile trek in the Sierras. His route was inspired by Charles McDermand's fishing trips documented in Waters of the Golden Trout Country. He spent about 30 days on the trail in the heart of Golden Trout country and crossed nine passes in that time. If you have even a passing interest in this stunningly beautiful part of California and the trout it holds I highly recommed this book. It's an easy and enjoyable read and has some good photos.
    Rich
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    Vintage Powell collector/dealer
    605-858-0800
    rich@classicpowellrod.com
    www.classicpowellrod.com

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Thanks Rich. It's now on my reading list.

On the list. Thank you.

That looks like a good one and will have to get it. McDermand's book is fantastic. Couple other good old ones you may all like although not much on fishing is "High Odyssey" by Orland Bartholomew & "1000 Mile Summer" by Colin Fletcher. Couple of High Sierra Classics!
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare

I just finished reading this book. It was great. Although following McDermand's book from a Geographical point, it reminded me more of "Fishing the California Wilderness" by Mike Hayden which is another old time classic. Read that one cover to cover at least a dozen times as a young kid. Well done Todd Bruce! Another East Bay/Diablo Valley original with passions and daydreams of the High Sierra Trout.
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare

I really enjoyed the book as well. And even hunted down a copy of McDermand’s book and burned through that one way too fast as well. Couldn’t help to think about how much our Sierra fishery has changed over the years, and even in my lifetime. Now I’m looking for those old, “heritage” Sierra flies like Mac’s favorite, the Cutthroat.