Thread: Spear Fishers on the American river

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Spear Fishers on the American river

Yesterday morning fished the American river with a friend and had a good time with over 50 dinks to the boat; only one was near 18"er. Then around 10:30a we came across 2 guys snorkelling & spearfishing just downstream of the "golden gate" bridge below Howe Ave.

Couldn't see if they were carrying spears, so asked one guy, "Do you have a spear?" He said yes, so I mentioned about the County regulation against bringing a spear on the bank. He acknowledged he knew about the Reg, and said he didn't want to have the conversation, so he then would not answer when asked several times where did he park?

As the boat drifted downstream and my friend cast for more stripers, called the Rangers (875-7275) on my cell.. hit "1" to report a crime or request a Ranger. It rang off the hook with no answer! Several times the next 20 mins. Bummer. Maybe was naive to believe their office when they said they will enforce against that.

In hindsight, maybe I shoulda let him know my boats a jet, so no propeller... and then buzzed that side of the river section a few times to spook any big striper hens.

Heads up some spear guys are illegally working the American. I plan to follow up with the Rangers office until I get through.
    Last edited by Mark V; 06-15-2015 at 10:21 AM.