Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Missoula Area Trip Advice?

Check with one of our other fly shops, the Grizzly Hackle, in Missoula.

http://www.grizzlyhackle.com/

If you stop by the shop and get some flies they will direct you to some of the many walk-n-wade streams.

I think July, August and September are good months there.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

So much great advice from everyone here and via pm. Thank you all so much. I will post a report when I get back. Though don't expect much in the way of pics...I dont usually carry one. Really appreciate everyone and the kindness shown.

Fish ON

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm also heading to Missoula soon and the advice is helpful. I started another thread to gather more info but wanted to link the two for future reference.

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthre...626#post159626

Fish_ON, how was your trip?

Quote Originally Posted by Bitter Dave View Post
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm also heading to Missoula soon and the advice is helpful. I started another thread to gather more info but wanted to link the two for future reference.

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthre...626#post159626

Fish_ON, how was your trip?

Hello Dave, sorry for the later reply. I have been crazy busy since coming back from our trip and not much time in front of a computer. That said, my trip was as good as you can possibly imagine...considering I had my wife, 1 & 4 years olds along. They were awesome enough to let me get out a few times.

The Hoot Owl closures went into effect the day after we arrived so it was really a crack of dawn until noon deal for me. I had 3 great sessions...2 on Upper Rock Creek and 1 on the NF Blackfoot. Both days on Rock Creek saw me land 5 of 6 species of fish(Rainbow, Brown, Cuttbow, Bull and Whitefish). The only fish I didn't land was Brook trout...not sure there are too many of those but they are on all the signs. The NF of the Blackfoot was my favorite. Up around 4 for the drive out. Then hiked about 3 miles in before finding my way to the water. I arrived on the water just before the sun made it into the canyon. First cast netted the first of an endless number of wild, beautiful west slope cutts...sipping and/or destroying #10-12 ant patterns in crystal clear blue water...a tip from another fisher at the trailhead. It was a day that I will remember for the rest of my life.

On a lighter note, but every bit as wonderful. I took my 4 year old daughter fishing one morning on the main/lower Blackfoot just outside Missoula. I fished spinners and spoons to try to get my daughter a few fish. Third cast, I hooked a 17" fatty rainbow in heavy current. Handed my 4 year old the rod, reluctantly, and she reeled the damn fish in unassisted(I kept my hand in front of the rod, just in case it got pulled out of her hands LOL). Another moment in time I will never forget. She caught another small brown trout, but the squeals, screams and excitement over her first ever trout...a pig no doubt will forever bring a smile to my face. PRICELESS!

I have thanked most of the folks privately who shared some tips and info. To any and all that I didn't, thank you from the bottom of my heart. It was an amazing adventure with my family!!! Dave, feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions. Have a great time.
    Last edited by TyV; 09-07-2015 at 12:49 AM.

Hey Fish_On,

Coincidentally, I am going on a road trip to the Missoula area with my
    wife next year. The primary goal is to take in the scenery and fly fish.
    Never been to Montana so we are pumped. My wife loves fly fishing which
    is a huge bonus.

What rod weight and flies would you recommend? We are probably going
    there in June.

EO

Quote Originally Posted by EO View Post
    Hey Fish_On,

Coincidentally, I am going on a road trip to the Missoula area with my
    wife next year. The primary goal is to take in the scenery and fly fish.
    Never been to Montana so we are pumped. My wife loves fly fishing which
    is a huge bonus.

What rod weight and flies would you recommend? We are probably going
    there in June.

EO

This was my first trip to Montana as well. It will NOT be the last. Actually, planning to head back up next summer. Hoping the weather is a lot nicer and water temps much cooler as well lol.

PM coming your way