Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reno-Tahoe area fishing report

Default Reno-Tahoe area fishing report

Pyramid Lake

Cooler stormy weather over the past 10 days or so has really helped the fishing. The water temperatures have stabilized around 60 degrees on the surface and it has helped keep some fish in shallow water. Tui Chubs are starting to roam and cruise in close as well. The hatchery area has been slow but some of the normal early fall and late spring beaches have been producing. The numbers of Pilot Peak strain fish also tend to go up some this time of year. Fishing off ladders as well as Pontoon Boats and Float Tubes are all worth a try. There are plenty of fish in 8-20 feet of water but that could change as soon as we get some warmer weather. Windy days are still best for sure. Early mornings have been worth getting up for lately as well. For Stripping flies use Midnight Cowboy’s and Olive Martini’s. For Indicator rigs the Red Maholo Nymph has been awesome. Larger Midges and Pyramid Lake Balanced Leeches are also worth a try.

Truckee River

The water is still really low for the most part on the river. This last batch of rainy days did not do much to change the water except for make it a little off color in places. It is fishable for sure. The stretch between Tahoe City and Truckee is really low and gets a little better downstream of Truckee. There is 158 CFS coming in from Boca and the flows are outstanding in the canyon section down to the state line. The flows get a little lower due to diversions in Nevada but the river is still in great shape all the way through Reno. Caddis are starting to hatch on the lower river in the evenings as well as some Little Yellow Stones. Nymphing during the day with Caddis or some generic bead head nymphs in size 16-18 is a great bet. A stonefly for a lead fly in size 8-10 can’t hurt either. The evening dry fly fishing should only get better for the next few weeks. Flows are: Town of Truckee 60 CFS, Boca Bridge 308 CFS, Farad 322 CFS and Reno 193 CFS.

Little Truckee River

Flows remain at 90 CFS. They have been this way for a while now. PMD’s are starting to show up sporadically in the middle of the day. The PMD hatch should only get better in the coming weeks. There are still some lingering Baetis as well. Nymphing with some really small PMD’s, Baetis or Midges in sizes 18-22 has been working best. 5X or 6X tippet is a must. Be stealthy, wear some neutral clothing and make really good drifts.

Davis Lake

Davis is low for sure but is in great shape for late May. There are some Callabaetis, Blood Midges and even a Damsel or two starting to show up. The latest report from May 26th has a few fish rising in shallow water and starting to stage for the Damsel migration. June should be a good month at the lake. There is a ton of shoreline due to lower water and this could be a really good year for shallow water sight fishing. Bring all your standard Stillwater flies and be ready for anything.

East Walker River

The East Walker is still 22 CFS. This is probably in part to some rain and cooler weather. The flows are going to continue to change with the weather over the next month or so until irrigation water is used up and the river goes into drought mode sometime soon. Get it in now if you want to fish the EW. We could be in for a long hot summer.

Thanks for the report! Sounds like fishing conditions are excellent right now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog8404 View Post
    Thanks for the report! Sounds like fishing conditions are excellent right now!!!
    I was out on truckee a few days ago in the canyon. A decent amount of water spilling in from Greys and Bronco Creeks. Along with Boca outflow and like you said flows are actually really decent. (considering drought). Lets face it. We've been a bit lucky because the last 2 weeks plus were cold, wet, and unsettled. I got hailed on and drenched in several downpours. Water temps on Truckee are still in the low 50's which is awesome.

I saw lots of bugs. Para BWO's, some grayish drakes, small stones, etc. I had 2 rods. One rigged with a tandem nymph tight lining and the other throwing dries. Defintely some dry opportunities presented themselves. My fish came subsurface on a smaller stone attractor followed by Doug O's peaches and cream. I wish I had my streamer rod too because the water color was ideal. Oh well.

Good fishing. Fish are feisty and full of vinegar through that area. Canyon is a great place to get away. Terrain is tougher but the isolation can't be beat.

My bet is 3-5 days of 70 degree weather and ants will start to pop and probably some green drakes. Weather pattern is shifting to a warmer pattern so it should really go off.

Default great report!

Quote Originally Posted by cdevine View Post
    I was out on truckee a few days ago in the canyon. A decent amount of water spilling in from Greys and Bronco Creeks. Along with Boca outflow and like you said flows are actually really decent. (considering drought). Lets face it. We've been a bit lucky because the last 2 weeks plus were cold, wet, and unsettled. I got hailed on and drenched in several downpours. Water temps on Truckee are still in the low 50's which is awesome.

I saw lots of bugs. Para BWO's, some grayish drakes, small stones, etc. I had 2 rods. One rigged with a tandem nymph tight lining and the other throwing dries. Defintely some dry opportunities presented themselves. My fish came subsurface on a smaller stone attractor followed by Doug O's peaches and cream. I wish I had my streamer rod too because the water color was ideal. Oh well.

Good fishing. Fish are feisty and full of vinegar through that area. Canyon is a great place to get away. Terrain is tougher but the isolation can't be beat.

My bet is 3-5 days of 70 degree weather and ants will start to pop and probably some green drakes. Weather pattern is shifting to a warmer pattern so it should really go off.
    Hey you need a job writing fishing reports! That is great info.... thanks for sharing. When I worked at the old Reno Fly Shop we used to have a bet every year on what day the Green Drakes would pop. My buddy Paolo would usually get the closest but it was always in the first week of June. The low water probably makes it earlier for sure. Thanks for sharing

Thank you both for the posts.
    When the drakes do pop what size are they?
    14 or 12?
    Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B. View Post
    Thank you both for the posts.
    When the drakes do pop what size are they?
    14 or 12?
    Thanks again
    Hey Paul, They are pretty big. It can vary some. Mostly 12's.

Rob

Thanks Guys. I really have always felt a need to share info. I know some people are top secret but you still have to go out and fish! And the Truckee isn't exactly easy water.

Enough of that. I'm just trying to get a little more time on the big truckee before the flows drop off. Sounds like there is about 3-4 weeks left of what I would call "ethical" fishing from all the stuff I've read. Flows are a little over 300 in the canyon today which isn't bad. Hopefully these 70's the next week will really kick some bugs and activity into over drive.

If I see any drakes or ants I will try and snap some pics. PMD's are coming too.

Yeah Rob is right. 12's are a safe bet.

Guys...I disagree on the suggested size 12 of the Green Drakes on the Truckee River in California. IMO, a #10 would be the smallest pattern; a size 8 being ideal. Heck, over my many years fishing the BT on this side of the CA/NV we've even used #6's.....with success.

Frank R. Pisciotta

I love the green drake hatch. Dunno why, probably because they look pretty dang cool and
    are big. Saw some on the Upper Sac last year and they were size 10 minimum.

A few pics of some I tied a few months back...in anticipation of June.

EO

Frank is right. I was out the other day and size 8-10 on the drakes. Lots of Ants out as well. River is starting to thin again. Looks like some wet and cool weather could be coming by weeks end. Good for water temps because they are still cold in the 50's. I was "lucky" enough to land my biggest brown ever the other day. Not going to get into the #'s but you can be the judge. High sticking is super effective but not so great when you are using a 10ft 4wt and this thing grabs on. Fish while you can...! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brown.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	10847
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brown.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	10846  
    Last edited by cdevine; 06-01-2015 at 04:07 PM.