Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Davis

Default Lake Davis

We're all waiting patiently for it to turn on. I've been out a couple of times now checking things out and so far it's been very quite. Lots of shore line to fish with the low water levels which means great sight fishing when the damsels make their appearance. As Jonny B pointed out in a previous post the water temps need to come up a bit and when they do watch out. The nice thing about Davis is there's so much to do beyond the fishing, with the birding, walking/running the dog, the wild flowers popping, snow plants everywhere, wildlife, it's a hard place to beat right now. I've always got the fly rod at hand but for the moment the DSLR is seeing a lot more action.

shore line

osprey

running the dog

wild flowers

snow plants

wildlife

the lake

Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

I have still yet to see a bear there.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Beautiful shots Sam! Planning on coming up to give it a wack at the end of the week and all next week with some cabin duties as well. If she's still slow I will resort to some Feather action, Scott I haven't seen any bears at Davis either but have seen my fair share on the MFFR.

That area is popular for archery hunting for deer.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

The bears are there, I've never seen any down on the lake, I generally see them off the west side road. I know the Grizzly Store had one break in last year. Some have got a beautiful cinnamon coat, haven't been bold enough to clip any hair yet but would make one heck of a wiggle tail. The Feather is very low at the moment, Jamison Creek or the NF Yuba might be a better bet Mark.

Pete
    Aka FeatherRiverSam
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

Great pictures Pete! Capturing natures beauty out fishing is a real bonus to any fishing trip. Thanks for sharing
    Bill Ward, ie, Bluegrass Bill, Sacramento, CA
    Guitar Player for Western Lights Band
    Bluegrass and Beyond!
    http://westernlightsband.com/

Thanks Bill...it'd be icing on the cake to have some fish pictures to post but some times you just have to make due with what's available. We took a quick trip out to the lake yesterday, Wednesday, under the cover of some ominous looking thunder clouds. We arrived at Jenkins around 10:00am to find 8 tubers working the south side. We decided to sit and watch hoping to see some bent rods or some working fish. As it got increasingly darker we didn't see either. I talked to one of the tubers as he pulled in, he said they'd been fishing for about two hours, not even a bump. When the thunder started up we decided to call it, I'd rather smoke my fish in a smoker than out on the lake while still in hand. On the drive back down the hill toward Portola we got hit with a downpour that felt like it might increase the lake level by at least a couple feet.

I did come across a damsel, one of the biggest I've seen, must have been close to an inch and a half long. The color might help with your fly selection.

Living so close to the lake I can be pretty selective about when I fish, the older I get the more selective I get. This isn't much of a report, hopefully someone will have something a bit more encouraging to post very soon...unfortunately the weather forecast through this coming weekend remains pretty ominous...

Pete
    John Gierach

Hi FRS, I sent you a PM if you could please review, thanks.

Pete, your pictures of the lake alone are a good enough report for me. But then I have fished Davis a time or two and have a grasp of what to expect. Hopefully next weeks warmth will wake them up and provide some solid action for us. I plan to be out weekend after next.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Scott I know you know the lake and all her little buckets...I think your timing is going to be spot on. My buddy went out this morning trying to beat the foul weather, I'll try and post a report upon his return.

Coltss I PM'd you a response.

Pete
    John Gierach