Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for drift boat advice

To stir up the pot a little more, Ive heard nothing but stellar reviews regarding the new NRS drifter inflatable drift boats. They have a 14 foot and a 17 foot.

http://www.nrs.com/product/84062.01/...e-drifter-boat
    My little fishing/fly tying blog- http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com/

Ill second the NRS IDB's. I have the 14ft Freestone and it is one kick a** boat. Thanks for the info Gilligan. NRS sent me a freestone demo, and only a few days rowing it, I had to get me one. Its that good.

I am on my second clackacraft as well. First one a 2004 ffb, and now a 2014 Eddy. +1 on the Square Tops, nothing like them on the market. Definitely upgrade your oars, your shoulders will thank you for it.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

I ended up finding a '99 Hyde fiberglass 16 footer. It has a 4 hp 2 stroke motor and is set with front and rear casting braces. Planning on getting on some water this weekend to practice rowing and then doing a drift of one of the sections of the lower sac Monday. Was wondering which section would be the least technical. I've been a passenger from bonnyview to balls ferry before and don't remember anything too crazy.
    Also watched the clackacraft videos and picking up a book tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advice
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by rouleur35 View Post
    I ended up finding a '99 Hyde fiberglass 16 footer. It has a 4 hp 2 stroke motor and is set with front and rear casting braces. Planning on getting on some water this weekend to practice rowing and then doing a drift of one of the sections of the lower sac Monday. Was wondering which section would be the least technical. I've been a passenger from bonnyview to balls ferry before and don't remember anything too crazy.
    Also watched the clackacraft videos and picking up a book tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advice
    Tom

Very nice, glad you got a boat!!

Enjoy,

Current flows out of Keswick are just under 7,100 CFS. Pretty safe middle ground where you can navigate most places and larger side channels without worrying too much about getting stuck. While there are other gauges, I use the following on the lower Sac.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?KES

Always check the flows on the river you are fishing before you go out. Each time you drift you will begin to understand both fishing runs and preferred lines to run at various flows. For example, the island at Wyndham riffle in Redding is not runnable to the left at 3,000 CFS in a drift boat (or at least I wouldn't try it).

As far as least technical at 7,000 CFS, I guess I would say Bonny to Anderson or Anderson to Balls. While anything can happen anywhere, the most dangerous spot on the Bonny to Anderson drift is just down from the boat ramp a 1/2 a mile or so where the river bends and runs nearly due west and then turns south. Before the turn to the south, the channel funnels into a chute with two boils on either side that you do not want to get into. You will be headed for a rock wall, but a few simple backstrokes will keep you out of it as a side channel comes in and will push you downstream.

I can't go on Monday, but if you want to run the river Saturday or Sunday, I would go with you and show you down. We could either fish it down, or do a much longer drift to show you more water. With the motor that would be doable skipping frog water. We could put in at Posse and use my car for a shuttle.

Three other things: bring wading boots in case you get your boat stuck and have to get out and push it. Not that I would know anything about that. Do not anchor in heavy water. If in doubt, move to calmer water to drop anchor. If you free drift (changing flies, landing fish, etc.) pull the oars in until you really know the river. What starts deep can get shallow quickly and catching an oar can be really bad.

Oh yeah: make sure your drain plugs are in! (I haven't done that one, yet). And have fun.

Thanks for the continued advice. Thanks for the offer to go with me. Unfortunately, I can't go during the weekend. Monday will be launch day!!

If you're still looking for a boat, I would recommend that you consider the Hog Island boats, built in Steamboat Springs, Co. They are rotomolded polyethylene and are virtually unbreakable, and even if you do damage them are extremely easy to fix. I've had mine now for four years, have used it on the lower Sacramento and the American and have found absolutely no reason to be dissatisfied with any aspect of the boat or fittings. I fish the Trinity, but my skills are not up to the more difficult water in that river, and I don't think it's appropriate to fish the upper section from a drift boat. It's too small, too bony, and far too disturbing to the fish and other anglers to run drift boats on the upper section of the river. You can hear a fiberglass or aluminum hulled boat coming on the upper section for several hundred yards as they drag across the boulders and gravel bars.

To check out the boats: http://www.hogislandboatworks.com/

bg
    do it with a long rod and a gentle touch.