Thread: Pittsfield, MA Any thoughts?

Default Pittsfield, MA Any thoughts?

I got a work trip in less than 2 weeks from now 4 days - any transplants or other with some insights on things worth checking out in the Pittsfield, MA area? Fresh or salt or anything.

Thanks,
    J. Ice

So I visited that area last fall for the funeral of a dear friend, and the Westfield River looked just glorious for trout. Not sure what the facts are, but man I wished I'd brought a 4 or 5 weight and had made more time, and I'm sure Barbara would have approved, as long as I geeked out on all living things there, not just the fish.

I think the Shad and Stripers are running into the Atlantic coastal bays and rivers?

It is 2+ hours to Boston?

Check with some local fly shops.

Look them up on the Sage dealer listing.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Grew up a bit south of there, and really cut my teeth fishing the Housatonic. You're not a bad drive from some of the legendary Catskills waters (Beaverkill, Willowemoc) in NY, and should be some small stream action in Western MA. Check with a local shop, as the heavy winter back there may mean very high water late and delayed hatches. It's getting to be Hendrickson time back there.

If you have time to fish the salt, there may be some early stripers, although that would be iffy. Don't know if anyone guides for salters - brook trout that move in and out of the salt ponds and ocean on the Cape (and elsewhere) - but they are a unique fish, and can get to 5 pounds or so.

Great info Wayne.......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Ice,
    There's a great fly shop (Bearsden) in Taunton, Mass; south of Boston. Still, the shop should be
    able to give you some heads-up on the western part of the state. I know the "Hous" has some great
    fisheries in Conn; not sure about Mass. It's still a bit cool back there; some of the northern Mich lakes still
    have ice on them. That might set the hatches back a bit. Bearsden phone is 866-977-0700
    Best,
    Larry S

Many years ago I lived in Amherst, Mass, and fished the Deerfield River. I've heard it has improved over the years, especially the upper sections. Worth checking out.

Harlan

Thanks for all the great info fellas, I'll start digging. Now if I can only get my I.D.'s squared away before the flight.......
    J. Ice