Thread: Truckee - June 12

Default Truckee - June 12

I will be in Truckee on the weekend of June 12. I am a little bit concerned about what the flows/water temps might be at that time. I realize that it is a bit of time between now and June 12, but for those of you that know the river, could you make a guess as to what I can expect? I do have the option of going to a Plan B as well. I normally take a trip to Dunsmuir that weekend, but we were looking to try something new. Thanks!!

You can expect no fishing at all above Boca and the river below Boca will be packed with all of the people that normally spread out through the upper system. There will basically be no natural flow, and below Boca flows will be determined entirely by the Watermaster in Reno and he will be stingy. They are VERY worried about a dry winter next year. The West side is holding more storage than the Eastern slopes. You might consider the Yuba, Stanislaus, American or Mokolumne instead of Truckee.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerLilly View Post
    You can expect no fishing at all above Boca and the river below Boca will be packed with all of the people that normally spread out through the upper system. There will basically be no natural flow, and below Boca flows will be determined entirely by the Watermaster in Reno and he will be stingy. They are VERY worried about a dry winter next year. The West side is holding more storage than the Eastern slopes. You might consider the Yuba, Stanislaus, American or Mokolumne instead of Truckee.

I think Tiger said it best. I was out on Friday and its fishing "well" right now. Flows are in 300's below boca where you have a few creeks contributing. Above boca its pretty thin right now and its not even May yet. Only good thing today is the water temps are cold. 49-53 degrees. If you could get there in the next month I think you should have some fun. Thank god for that little system that gave us 12-18' inches above 7000 feet. All the snow helps as do the Tstorms.

But come June I think its going to get ugly. Maybe we make until the end of the month. I wouldn't even consider above Boca or below Reno. I think a lot of people will stay off the river like we did last summer in August-Sept. Sacrifice a little now to preserve the future. At least I hope that happens.

Thought about some Stillwater stuff? Independence, Milton, etc. Also the Yuba and American river systems are in a little better shape. You also have the upper feather river. The west slope did get more snow this year. Nothing much came over the summit. Truckee is really dependent on Tahoe, Boca, stampede, and prosser and those are looking like puddles.

Quote Originally Posted by cdevine View Post

I think Tiger said it best. I was out on Friday and its fishing "well" right now. Flows are in 300's below boca where you have a few creeks contributing. Above boca its pretty thin right now and its not even May yet. Only good thing today is the water temps are cold. 49-53 degrees. If you could get there in the next month I think you should have some fun. Thank god for that little system that gave us 12-18' inches above 7000 feet. All the snow helps as do the Tstorms.

But come June I think its going to get ugly. Maybe we make until the end of the month. I wouldn't even consider above Boca or below Reno. I think a lot of people will stay off the river like we did last summer in August-Sept. Sacrifice a little now to preserve the future. At least I hope that happens.

Thought about some Stillwater stuff? Independence, Milton, etc. Also the Yuba and American river systems are in a little better shape. You also have the upper feather river. The west slope did get more snow this year. Nothing much came over the summit. Truckee is really dependent on Tahoe, Boca, stampede, and prosser and those are looking like puddles.

GOnna be scary to say the least. The Truckee should have mandatory closures starting this year. Its gonna be a tough one for everyone. The fish have it the worst tho. We can worry as anglers, guides and farmers. BUt the fish have it the worst. We need to think of them. I sure hope fish and game and us as a community can come together and help educate and start infliciting mandatory river closures. Fingers crossed.

Still water is gonna be the name of the game this year. Time to explore and really get out there. Sooner than later. Fish the rivers while its ethical. But thats not gonna last long. Gonna be a good year to chase some bass and deep still water trout.

et al---simply, we can do voluntary Hoot-Owl closures as we did last year. No need to wait for an official mandate; use common sense. People know my mantra "Health of the fishery is first, public angling second and commercial guiding a distant third and last"

Leave the water and quit fishing when the temps get to 67-68. Such occurred last year about 10:30-11 AM. Last year MY voluntary HO closures occurred around mid-July. This year it should occur earlier; assuming there is water in the river.

Frank R. Pisciotta
    Last edited by Frank R. Pisciotta; 04-27-2015 at 11:32 AM.

Thank you so much for your comments. I've never fished the Truckee and it's definitely on my list of rivers to fish. I will go to Plan B!! Thanks again for all the info!!!

Like others said, Stillwater......bass maybe

High country....Lots of good stuff around....skeeters would normally be horrible about then, but this season maybe not.

Pyramid is open till the end of June.....Might be worth headin out that way.

Carp.....They're everywhere, and might be our number one game fish if this drought keeps up.....If you've never sight fished tailing carp, its a blast.