Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New hard sided light weight travel trailers are getting very popular.

Default New hard sided light weight travel trailers are getting very popular.

Lot of my fly fishing friends who are retiring now are getting travel trailers.

I think most are getting lighter ones that weigh around 3,000 to 4,000 pounds so you can pull them with a medium size SUV.

I think 18 to 22 feet is the size that most are getting.

**Some of my friends, like Don Rotsma and Rick Jorgensen, are getting bigger 26' trailers with slide outs that they will pull with a diesel truck.

Video showing light weight Winnebago trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8PsRjSFAOg
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

We very briefly owned a tent trailer last year. Spent 10 days in Colorado with it and sold it as soon as we got home. Not enough space and way too much packing/unpacking/set up/take down time.

We opted for one of these because it is fully self contained with the bunks closed. Tows with 2014 Ram V6 easily @ just over 3000#.
    When you're on the road, you can pull over anytime, make a sandwich, take a pee, or easily grab a few hours of sleep in a parking lot if need be and continue on to your destination. No need to put the bunks down with the couch and drop down table/bed.

http://ventura.craigslist.org/rvd/4993134400.html
    Last edited by Kneedeep; 05-07-2015 at 06:27 AM.

Looks like a good rig.....can't wait till summer.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Thanks, Bill.
    We really like it and despite being 4yrs old, its as new. Add the fact the guy selling it took $7800 including the anti-sway hitch and a few other extras made it a sweet deal.

A lot of people ( including myself) are also building a DIY sleeping platform in the bed of their truck. The picture is of mine, I just completed it. The benefit of the sleeping platform is that it sits above the wheel wells making one large flat platform with storage underneath. Mine is about the size of a queen bed, and I have sleeping pads that I can put on top. I also plan on wiring up some deep cycle batteries to have enough power to run a heater and or lights all night, may also do outlets for something like a mini frig for those hot fall steelhead trips. Camper shell cost $500 on craigslist, and the wood and carpet came out to $100. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2020.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	10690

Quote Originally Posted by Rmacneil656 View Post
    A lot of people ( including myself) are also building a DIY sleeping platform in the bed of their truck. The picture is of mine, I just completed it. The benefit of the sleeping platform is that it sits above the wheel wells making one large flat platform with storage underneath. Mine is about the size of a queen bed, and I have sleeping pads that I can put on top. I also plan on wiring up some deep cycle batteries to have enough power to run a heater and or lights all night, may also do outlets for something like a mini frig for those hot fall steelhead trips. Camper shell cost $500 on craigslist, and the wood and carpet came out to $100. Click image for larger version. 

Neighbor bought a queen size "platform bed frame" for around $80 from Walmart (I think) that was originally 14 inches high. Covered it with several 1/4" plywood in 2ft by width of truck. He cut legs to 7 inches and uses 6" high plastic "underbed"" storage bins to keep everything in place under the frame.

it is great setup, but as Bill posted, as we get older we crave the hot shower and other creature comforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmacneil656 View Post

This has been a popular setup for many years for fly fishers and outdoor types.

Some of my fishing partners had this setup.

Then we put our prams on top.

http://boredomtherapy.com/diy-advent...=6022439435884

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

This is one of the more sophisticated versions of the pickup bed with canopy camper setups.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Taking a cargo van and making it into a camper is popular too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GRgoISeTR4
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    This is one of the more sophisticated versions of the pickup bed with canopy camper setups.

I'm heading that direction. I'm going to wire in power, but need to save my pennies for deep cycle batteries and a nice inverter. Another reason I did pop up vs pull out storage is you need the tailgate open for the pull out. If its freezing cold or raining, it would be a pain to have to open the tailgate to get something you may suddenly need.

One of my friends in oregon has a flip pack, and as far as hot shower goes he has modified his heater core to heat water. He has a pump that will suck it through a garden hose, heat and deliver to a shower head. Its outdoors but it works. Not saying that this is better than a RV, its not. But it is 10x better than a tent. When you only have 1 vehicle, limmitted funds and no where to park a large vehicle; options are limmitted.