Thread: Weekend Options: Yuba, NF Yuba, Truckee, MF Feather?

Default Weekend Options: Yuba, NF Yuba, Truckee, MF Feather?

Hi, finally getting a weekend to fish for trout for the first time since last summer. Any thoughts on the above options, especially given the recent weather? I would assume the water will be cleared up everywhere by Saturday since the rain wasn't torrential and the ground was dry. Looks potentially chilly in the higher elevations. Main stem Yuba was looking ascendent recently but not sure if this weather will put them down.

I've fished the NF Yuba in fall and hit the October Caddis by luck (amazing hatch -- like shooting fish in a barrel), but have never tried this time of year. If we go there, I'm intrigued by the possibility of hiking downstream from the 49 crossing (towards Bullards Bar) and camping down there somewhere. Plus there are the major feeder creeks above Downieville.

Thanks and will post a report when I return.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

I would opt for the Lower Feather, Lower Yuba or Lower Sacramento rivers for trout / spring steelhead.

Some trout lakes could be OK.

The Delta looks good.....

Bass ponds?

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Leaning towards the lower Yube. Maybe stay in a fleabag motel and drink beer at night (and during the day) and watch stupid old Stallone movies like "Cobra."
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Cobra is amazing, but Over the Top is A+++

The Yuba will be crowded, but it's firing right now. BWO's, baetis nymphs, some skwalas on the edges, stones, Adams on top, EC Caddis at last light...pretty much everything is working.

I just got off the Truckee and it's fishing pretty good also. Deeper runs are holding big bows and browns, and access is pretty easy. It's a great little town (vs Marysville), I'd much rather get a hotel room there and fish then spend the eve at Bar of America and checking out the shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Cobra is amazing, but Over the Top is A+++

The Yuba will be crowded, but it's firing right now. BWO's, baetis nymphs, some skwalas on the edges, stones, Adams on top, EC Caddis at last light...pretty much everything is working.

I just got off the Truckee and it's fishing pretty good also. Deeper runs are holding big bows and browns, and access is pretty easy. It's a great little town (vs Marysville), I'd much rather get a hotel room there and fish then spend the eve at Bar of America and checking out the shops.
    I'm floating the lower sac with my son via a guide on Sunday. Looking forward to 80 degree weather and lots of wild rainbows. But if I was on my own I would hit the Truckee. Then again I love the Truckee and its fishing well right now. Water has a little tint and its still very cold. No need to get on her before 10am.
    Good luck

If you live in granite bay the Yuba is a short drive....

Cobra
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	King_Cobra_54542.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	10655
    Last edited by Troutsource; 04-10-2015 at 08:11 PM.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

If you want to experience a game changer, mix 1/3rd orange juice into that KC 40 (not Sunny D, trust me). It will change your life.

While I did not experiment with King Cobra, I did have an interesting weekend on the Yube, both on and off the river. We pulled into the America's Best Value Hotel around 11 PM Friday. Watched "The Edge" with Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin while drinking Sierra Nevada. Talk about a bad flick -- but not quite bad enough that you could laugh at it -- which made it even worse. Due to watching the stupid movie and GLD (General Lethargy Disorder) we got started late the next day (1:00 or so). Another reason we were late starting is because, after getting a shuttle from Sycamore from Dale to the 20 bridge, I realized, in what I was expecting to be a moment of glory, that my new electric pump didn't have the right adapter for the pontoons. We tried for 20 minutes using a 1.5" piece of duct tape and our hands to keep the air from escaping. Once that failed we resorted to a hand pump (and my back is still sore). Paid Dale extra due to the delay. Finally we were on the water, perfect weather. Fish rising all day, especially in the evening when caddis were everywhere and fish going berserk. Must have tried 30 patterns between us. Ultimately caught three each, mainly on caddis. My fish were roughly 16, 17 and 18 inches. Man those fish seem to have gotten bigger (food chain consolidation in dry years?). Back to the hotel with some Rolling Rock and then watched Pelham 1-2-3, a great classic, and then Raising Arizona. Started hearing suspicious noises from the two females in the adjacent room. My brother said I was a dirty old man. Next morning my suspicions were confirmed...won't say more in a public forum... Sunday started around 1:30 - GLD again. Fish rising all day, with a real crescendo at the end again, but we couldn't catch anything. Among the flies spotted, in roughly decreasing order of frequency: Olives, Caddis (big tan - mottled wings & fat tan bodies, medium tan with green bodies, small black), pink mayflies, march browns, yellow sallies. On the way out I inhaled either a caddis or a chunk of Coppenhagen Wintergreen and nearly vomited.

P.S. Dale's # is 530-740-2280 (cell), or 530-741-1296 (home). A really great guy, 100% friendly.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Great report.
    Hurt my knee last time out on Yuba otherwise be hitting it hard this weekend.
    Instead will have a cobra and watch Cliffhanger.