Thread: Lower Sac closure proposal

Default Lower Sac closure proposal

Have not seen this posted. This is still a proposal and not set in stone, though appears likely to happen. The Lower Sac will be closed to fishing from Keswick to the 44 bridge from April 27 until July 31 to protect spawning chinook. There will be a meeting on 4/7/2015 in Redding that will provide more info to the public. Just an FYI if you are planning a trip.

http://www.redding.com/news/local-ne...o-help-chinook

Interesting.

I hope they do it. It is only closing 5 river miles, and helps our fish. I think everyone can live without pounding posse grounds for 3 months.

Bam!!!!!!!!

Default DFW doing their job.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I hope they do it. It is only closing 5 river miles, and helps our fish. I think everyone can live without pounding posse grounds for 3 months.
    I love seeing DFW doing what they are hired to do. I sincerely hope they will implement a broad plan to help so many of our fisheries that will be taking it in the shorts this year. Get any needed approval from the Commission NOW to close the Truckee when it hits 70f three days straight, or when the Little T drops to 20 cfs (or what ever benchmarks the biologists might deem germane, but please err on the side of the fish). Don't wait until July to punt. Have a plan and don't simply "monitor the situation" to death.

“At the department, it pains us to propose this action for the state,” said Stafford Lehr, CDFW Fisheries Branch Chief. “But we are in unchartered territory here, and we believe this is the right thing to do if we want to help winter run and be able to fish for big rainbows in the long-run.”

The closure is more about saving the trout fishery than anything. Commercial interests are abusing the resource.

https://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/category/sport-fishing/
    Last edited by Awood; 04-07-2015 at 08:49 AM.

"Commercial interests are abusing the resource."

Is this an "in general" observation or an observation specific to salmon in this stretch of the river?
    (curious what commercial interest you are referring to)

I'm talking about non-stop guided fishing pressure on spawning habitat in extreme low water conditions.