Thread: Trinity Flows?

Default Trinity Flows?

Any word? Pat at Trinity Fly Shop hasn't heard anything...............
    Robert

Robert,
    Hope this helps,
    http://www.northcoastweb.com/fishing...riverlevel.cfm

Best,
    Larry S

The last couple of years (going off memory only), they bumped it between April 15 and 20. I've fished it the second weekend in April the last 3 years, and they were always down. Not even sure how much reserve is left in Trinity Lake.

I don't have all the details in front of me, but if you're wondering about when the spring "flood" flows start, that is usually the first week in May. This year looks like the peak flows will be aprox 8,500cfs on May 5-6, with flows starting to ramp up a day or 2 before, then stepping down. From what I heard, they apparently reached "normal" water content with the snows from the storms that came through a few weeks back. Hard to believe...

JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

I just got home last night from the Trinity. Here is a pic of the lake. Not sure how 'normal' this is though as it is the first time I've seen it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150404_018.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	10635

A fellow fly fisher said he heard they were going to start increasing flows on April 15th.

Quote Originally Posted by The Arborist View Post
    I just got home last night from the Trinity. Here is a pic of the lake. Not sure how 'normal' this is though as it is the first time I've seen it.Click image for larger version. 

A fellow fly fisher said he heard they were going to start increasing flows on April 15th.
    That looks better than I would have expected. Still muddy? The upper end of the lake is where most of the fall/winter flyfishing takes place; from the boat ramp by Pine Cove (?) to Trinity dam. Pat Burton said the fishing has been decent, a bit cloudy and past prime steelhead time. There are spring run steelhead that come in > March but usually the increased flows but the halt on fishing for them.
    Robert

There's certainly nothing normal with water anywhere in the west.

Reservoir summaries for April 7th are:
    Trinity Lake = 49% of capacity, 61% of historical avg.
    Shasta = 59% of cap, 72% of hist avg
    Oroville = 51% , 66%

Let's not even mention snowpack
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

To be honest, I am not entirely sure what data is used in the "normal" designation, though it is clearly a combination of a lot of factors. I will have to double check with my friend, as the little bit of browsing I have done online has brought up a variety of numbers... none of which looked particularly great. Like I said, hard to believe. Didn't mean to imply that they had some major snowpack up there or anything, but I am pretty confident the information I received was accurate relative to the decision making regarding flows this spring on the Trinity.

Just thought I'd give a heads up about when the big flows are coming, and as for the amount 8,500cfs, that level is still planned as far as I know. Though in some previous years there has been some minor adjustments made to the peak height and duration.
    Cheers,
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by The Arborist View Post

By comparison, take a look at the photo I took last July of the lake level... late July!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lake Trinity 07-26-14.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	10654

Pretty scary as I don't see it going up any further than it is now! I hope I am wrong!