Thread: Rion Inidcator II vs Scientific Anglers Indicator/Nymph line

Default Rio Indicator II vs Scientific Anglers Indicator/Nymph line

I need a new line for a fast action, 10', 6-weight rod that is dedicated to indicator fishing from a boat. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Randy
    Last edited by Randy B; 04-01-2015 at 02:59 PM.

Randy

We like the Airflo Kelly Galloup Nymph / Indicator line matched to the rods' weight for dedicated nymphing. Not often do you up-line this one. More important is matching the grains in your fly line to the overall nymph rigs weight (sorry no formula for this). Taper actually doesn't have as much to do with it like many think. It's the fly lines' mass that turns over the flies. Even an up-lined trout taper will work just fine. Next time you're nymphing pile up your 1-2 flies, split shot, and extra leader in your hand and feel the overall weight. It's a lot. It takes more mass to move this weight. Staying connected and removing slack in the line when casting will help a lot as well. Finally, your can adjust your turnover and drift to some degree by adjusting your bobber. Guides like to put the bobber right where the fly line meets the leader but you lose some of the dead drift capabilities when you do this. If your flies are turning over too aggressively with your line move the bobber down away from the line and you'll lessen the speed it hits the water and get a better drift.

The Airflo and the SA nymphing lines have the same tapers and Kelly is credited with designing both. They also seem to be about at the same price point, is there any noticeable difference between the two?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy B View Post
    The Airflo and the SA nymphing lines have the same tapers and Kelly is credited with designing both. They also seem to be about at the same price point, is there any noticeable difference between the two?
    You'll find that the Airflo has a urethane outer coating. The rubbery stuff and the SA uses PVC just like everything other line. The nature of urethane allows for it to remain stable in a wide range of temperatures as well as properties that make it resistant to many chemicals like DEET and sunscreen. Think of a bumper or dashboard on a car. In the past a pvc like plastic was used, it cracked over time or under stress. Now they're made of a urethane type material and they last a long time. Airflo has a patent on this so it's going to last longer and behave better.

I will say that these lines today that are designed for the ultimate in longevity lose some of the suppleness you want in a trout line. You'll find it stiffer so it cracks less . Less bends, less stress.

Randy, the RIO Xtreme indicator was designed for exactly what you're doing. It's the lower sac, feather, yuba nymph line. PUC is great but the way its extruded doesn't allow for as precise of taper changes as with PVC. It may be more durable itself but its stretch rate doesn't match that of the core which is why you see so many PUC coatings separate from their cores (ridge running line anyone?)

Would it be recommended to overline a Sage XP when using either the RIO, Airflow, or SA indicator lines?
    Last edited by Randy B; 04-01-2015 at 10:32 PM. Reason: clarity

I have used all 3 of the lines mentioned above and have been an Airflow pro for a number of years now so I am a bit biased but have experience with all 3 as I used SA for a few years and then Rio for a few years after that. I think the performance, casting, mending, loading rod, turning over big indicators, etc...are pretty close as Kelly did design both the SA and Airflow tappers. The BIG thing that I can say about the Airflow that rises above the other 2 brands are that they last MUCH MUCH longer. I use to get a 3 month season out of a SA or Rio line used on my client rods in my drift boat. With the airflo lines I have been getting 12mos -18mos out of a nymph line, and the only reason I have replaced them is that new tappers came out...Aaron is right that there was issues with core and coating separation. That has been solved with better centering of the core in the coating with addition of a new process and machine. Lines are always tough as everyone has an opinion...kinda like who is the best guitar player or band, tough one to come to a definitive answer. I will say definitively that the Air Flo tapper is perfect for fishing big indicator rigs in nor cal and last MUCH MUCH longer then the other 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy B View Post
    Would it be recommended to overline a Sage XP when using either the RIO, Airflow, or SA indicator lines?
    I would only overline if your fly rigs are extremely heavy. Remember the mass of the line carries the flies. More mass = bigger flies. If you have a lot of mass and light flies you're just pulling around extra weight and your presentation might be clunky.

Regarding Airflo and their past issues with coatings coming apart from the core. I don't know all the facts but Airflo does have a 5 year warranty. It's very generous so long as you don't abuse it.