Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truckee 3/28

Default Truckee 3/28

Joey and I fished the Truckee on sat. We were up on Davis on Fri. We do not have a lot of experience fishing the Truckee. Joey fished galloup streamers and I fished bwo's on 6x. We fished near Joe's hole on hirshdale. He fished hard for a couple hours on only moved a few fish in the 16" range. I sat on my ass and smoked a cigar most of the time. Never saw a fish rise but a nice hatch started at 11:30 with small bwo's and then the size increased to 14-16's. Could have been a mixed bag of bwo's, pmd's and march browns. Water seemed in great shape for now. No fish but had a great time. Talked to a few others and they had the same luck. Saw a guide with some clients and they were heading down stream when I asked so we fished up. Checked out stampee res and it was scary low.

There has been talk of streamer lines and Joey has worn his out. It was an original prototype that Kelly Galloup gave him 6 years ago. We will get the new Galloup line as they are made by SA now. I use Kelly's line but also have a Teeny line I like using too. I have the T130 but i think the T200 would work fine.

If you can offer any advice on fishing the Truckee it would be appreciated. We bought the map from mountain hardware and need to study it.

tight lines,

Jet
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" - unknown author

Jet----My blog post dated 3/14/205 is still operative....www.flyfishingcalifornia.blogspot.com. Currently there is a bit more bug emergences: BWO's, March Browns and sparser small caddis. Occasionally you can target some surface-feeders. Ther may not be a lot of fly angling opportunities up here ...as early as late June.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Jet, My experience has been mainly tight lining or indo nymphing the CA section. You can get some good dry activity in Nevada and up near Glenshire, but for me below hirshdale to the border is mainly subsurface. (with weight). March browns, skwalla's, midges, etc. Agree 100% with Frank. If you are going to fish it do so in the next few months. Going to get ugly later summer. Pretty tough river but can be super rewarding. Not the type of place where you are going to land 10 fish but the 2 or 3 you do get could easily be 18-22 or bigger.

Truckee flows up to 500 CFS in Canyon. Was out today and landed a couple in some fast water but not easy. Lots of debris floating from this flush. I have no idea why flows increased. Going to be a short season. Hopefully some snow this weekend.

wife and kids outta town, been puttin some time in on the river.....Big and Lil T. It hasn't been easy, but the fish are there, and willing to eat flies if you are willing to change up tactics as needed. Streamers, dries, and nymphing have worked, depending on the water.

This fish was sippin bwo's against a shady bank.....I put her down on my first attempt, went downstream, came back like an hour later....she was feeding again. I got a better angle and put a parachute bwo on her and she ate with confidence.

This piggy was in fast water....ate a sz. 20 bwo nymph

I'll be out takin advantage of the weather tomorrow......Hopefully some fish will be lookin up!

Quote Originally Posted by NVTrout View Post
    wife and kids outta town, been puttin some time in on the river.....Big and Lil T. It hasn't been easy, but the fish are there, and willing to eat flies if you are willing to change up tactics as needed. Streamers, dries, and nymphing have worked, depending on the water.

This fish was sippin bwo's against a shady bank.....I put her down on my first attempt, went downstream, came back like an hour later....she was feeding again. I got a better angle and put a parachute bwo on her and she ate with confidence.

This piggy was in fast water....ate a sz. 20 bwo nymph

I'll be out takin advantage of the weather tomorrow......Hopefully some fish will be lookin up!

That's what I'm talking about! Nice work. I've walked a lot of miles on the BT this year and it can be both rewarding and frustrating. Sounds like your work has paid off. Flows really came up in the canyon and lots of debris coming down. Streamer time could be a good bet.

Lovely fish.

Here are few from LT and T couple weeks ago.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	10614Click image for larger version. 

Views:	179 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	1061510610[/ATTACH]Click image for larger version. 

Views:	185 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	10611Click image for larger version. 

Views:	174 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	10612
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	186 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	10610  
    Last edited by steveg137; 04-05-2015 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Photos

Sweet fish Steve!

I know its all been said before, but it rings true......If most rivers are under-grad fly fishing, the Truckee is like goin for your doctorate. I still get my rear end handed to me, and I learn from it, go back to drawing board, and get after it. When solving the puzzle isn't fun anymore, time to hang up the waders.....Pretty sure that wont ever happen......Unless theres no more water! Which isn't out of the question, ugh........I'll be a full time carp guy if that happens! haha.

Nice fish...
    Don't want to ruffle feathers guys...
    We love our fish up here.....
    So, although we don't mind dripping fish photos, we don't much like seeing fish on shore. No beaching!
    The big fish are like gold, very valuable!!! We all want one and gun for them....
    We don't have a high fish count, maybe 400 or so per mile, and thousands of fishers.....
    Therefore every fish gets more mileage/pressure, that's part of them being tough to catch, they get more practice..
    But if fishers mistreat fish, it really impacts the fishery. Mostly a wild fishery, not like going to Safeway.....
    I post selective fish, but mostly go without, because the fish and I know what happened......and that's all that counts....
    Treat'em nice...
    I think that means a net big enough for the fish you catch...If the fish is 4-5" longer than the net, it's time.
    Kick down for 18" hoop minimum. 20"+ would be better. They don't like being folded...
    Thanks from fans of the T....

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 04-06-2015 at 10:13 AM.
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

I pinch barbs and release most fish without them coming out of the water.......I try not to take too long taking a pic, then get the fish back to recovery......I'm sure if most of us are honest with ourselves, we can all do better......I will strive to be better.....Jim, what about laying fish on ice? I thought basically what you posted above, when I saw a pic you took of a bow laying out of the water on ice.....Maybe you kept it?