Thread: East Walker

Default East Walker

Fished the East Walker the other day Rosachi/Scierine Ranch area and landed some nice browns in the "16-20 range but at 22 CFS I would pass on it for now. I just don't get out there much and I wanted to see how she looked. Low…… Sad…. If it gets to 50 this year I will give it another shot but Bridgeport Reservoir looks like a puddle. I worked my tail off for a few. Hopper/Dropper setup with a rainbow warrior and stimulator on top. Fish were under banks and in eddy's. Lets just say there is a river in the greater tahoe basin fishing slightly better now. On the way up the west walker was flowing strong and looked ice cold from runoff. Nobody fishing it yet which is probably wise because I imaging water temps are still in 40's.

I've fished that section of river a lot over the last 10 years. The EW has been a trickle forever basically. There are still some good fish, and if you're sneaky you'll prolly hook into a few of em, as it sounds like you did.........I can tell a big difference from what it used to be several years ago though........Makes me sad. That whole area is so dependent on water. Fish, tourism, ranchers, etc......Looks like another rough summer ahead.

Thanks for the report.

Those flows are just sad and the reservoir looks pitiful. The larger models will eventually make their way up to the dam just to stay cool and poachers will start pilfering them. This drought is awful.

If you fish the east walker at these levels your just killing fish I would avoid fishing there at all cost. There are other places within an hour to fish with better flows and cooler water.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Petundra View Post
    If you fish the east walker at these levels your just killing fish I would avoid fishing there at all cost. There are other places within an hour to fish with better flows and cooler water.

Adam
    I wouldn't fish it again at these levels and the fish I caught were healthy and vibrant to say the least. They were released unharmed. The water was 48 degrees at 9am. No fish was killed.