Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gear Travel Bag

Default Gear Travel Bag

Well,I think I'm in the market for a new travel bag. Right now I have a Eddie Bauer wheel bag that weighs around 12lbs. I'm looking to go lighter yet still have the capacity to put 50lbs in the bag (the porter will carry the bag). The bag has to hold 4 piece rod cases, this should make the bottom of the bag rigged. Also will be putting my reels in there, (coming back from Baja). I usually carry my rods in a travel case and my reels in my back pack when leaving the US, but things are sometimes different in the foreign country's.
    I've looked at FishPond, Simms, Patagonia, REI, etc.... Right now I have what they call a "body bag". It's about 4 1/2' in length and can fold up to a 12"x12" square. It only weighs 4lbs but is starting to get holes in it from being dragged around the terminals.

Any ideas

Jay

Default Travle Bag....

Hi Jay,.... I've been using an REI "Wheely Beast" for several years now and was going to recommend it but you've already checked out their website.

You might want to re-consider the FishPond rod carrier. I've used one for about three years now. I really like it and carry rods, only, using a single divider, I carry all of my partners and my 4 piece rods (6). I'm fairly sure I could carry 8 rods with careful packing. No flexibility on length of rods, tho. The rod case fits in the overhead storage on commercial aircraft that I've flown on.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Hey Jay, check out the new TFO travel bags. I have several models and they are great. I have boat bags, rods cases, and big travel bags to fit everything you would need for some baja action. They even have some cool TFO knives as well, really nice products for the TFO line. The ono are starting to run on the south side of the big island. Next full moon should be a solid bite. Mems.
    Don Memmer

For the life of me, I don't get why anyone would check rods or reels on a plane. It's exactly like carrying your ski boots on the plane, except you can't usually rent skis when you get there. Hence, rod AND reels. Get a Marmot Urban Hauler, and don't forget it in the overhead. Once you are carrying your rods and reels, you can get a much smaller bag to check.

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    For the life of me, I don't get why anyone would check rods or reels on a plane. It's exactly like carrying your ski boots on the plane, except you can't usually rent skis when you get there. Hence, rod AND reels. Get a Marmot Urban Hauler, and don't forget it in the overhead. Once you are carrying your rods and reels, you can get a much smaller bag to check.
    Because sometime you have NO CHOICE. I am going to Argentina next spring and they do not allow any fishing tackle as carry on luggage. None.

Darian,
    I remember those fishpond rod cases ( do you ) the one that was picked up by mistake in Cabo. I already have a rod case from Ray Hutcherson but need a bag for all my other junk. I'm taking disposible shirts and shorts with me this year, I'll need the space on my trip home for the big gun rods for Christmas Island.

Mems,
    I'll check with TFO and check out the big luggage bags. I had one of their rod bags but it was too long for a carry on. I think they were 3" over the carryon limit. The dorado and roosters are around the light house right now and bait is in a number of locations
    Hopefully this will be a good year.

BS720,
    Yes, some countrys will not allow you to carry on reels with line on them. I've tried that before and had to run back to the ticket counter to try and get my bag back. All I got was a small cardboard box to put my reels in and taped it up, plus a $25.00 fee for a second piece of luggage

I'll keep looking

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    Fortunately, I am able to carry on rods and reels on the flights to and from AK. But a group of us had our rods and reels taken away at the last second before boarding a flight home from Canada because "You could strangle somebody with that fly line." Apparently shoelaces and purse straps don't fall into the Canadian list of items that can be used to strangle. Oh, and of course upon arriving in Sacramento, my gear was missing. They found it after several days, several days during which I was not a happy camper.

Jay check out Granite Gear Cross-Trek series of bags. I have a few friends that have them. The bags have a ton of room & can handle a lot of weight.

Tony

One last thing, life time warranty.
    Last edited by Tony P; 03-24-2015 at 11:33 PM.

I have the Fishpond Westwater Large bag, it's highly-water resistant, fits 4 piece rod tubes inside, holds a ton of gear and can be had right now for as low as $165 here with a coupon:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/fis...colorFamily=01

Jay,

I have a Wright and McGill Teton travel bag we can swap for something else or cash. Used on one NZ trip. Like new. Performed well for me.
    Some if the features:
    Large, rod storage compartment with adjustable dividers and mesh closure
    Wet storage bag
    Large “D” shaped opening
    Outside pocket, large bottom pockets
    Retractable handle and large wheels
    Side compression straps, foam padded handles, heavy duty zippers
    "Safety was never compromised." Laura Brown, FAA spokeswoman