Thread: Pyramid Lake - First Hand Report - March 22, 2015

Default Pyramid Lake - First Hand Report - March 22, 2015

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the info this site brings.

Just got back from 3 or so days at Pyramid fly fishing.

Here's some quick feedback:

March 19th-22nd 2015
    No moon was out
    Weather was low 40's at night, and low to high 60's in the day
    I think water temp was high 40's
    Indicator fishing was fairly slow. Some fish, but not as hot as other years.
    Stripping flies seemed way more productive. Typical white/chartruse beetle and black wooly bugger/worm
    We saw LOTS of fish cruising in front of the ladders during the day. It seems like they wouldn't bite and weren't too interested in food.
    We did see 2 big fish caught over 2 days, but no one in our group caught any big fish (10lbs+)
    Seems like our biggest fish was nothing much more than 24"
    Top count might have been 10 fish for a person in a 12 hour day. However, most guys only had maybe 2 - 4 fish for a 12 hour day.
    Other fisherman near us, presumably better fisherman, did quite well with 10 fish counts (nearly all on the stripping rod)
    South nets was packed beyond belief with no slots open on the lineup at sun-up.
    Bite seemed better before sunup and after sundown.
    Did not venture to any other beaches.
    OVERALL, fishing did seem slow to me...I'm not the best fisherman, but 2-4 fish after standing on the ladders from sun-up to sun-down is tough...

Tight lines,
    Ryan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1907606_10101805896675445_7445943639961066455_n.jpg 
Views:	729 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	10539
    Last edited by ryanerb; 03-23-2015 at 10:44 AM. Reason: add more info

Ditto. We were up the same time. We had zero nymphing. All my fish were on the popcorn beetle, stripped with a midnight cowboy. We never ventured near the Nets, preferring to stay away from the crowds. We hooked up at Pelican, Popcorn, and Seperator. Nothing big caught. I'd say 24" was about it. It was tough putting in work under clear skies and calm waters. Still, it was a good time. I managed 6 in three days.

Last edited by Wanderingblues; 03-23-2015 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderingblues View Post
    Ditto. We were up the same time. We had zero nymphing. All my fish were on the popcorn beetle, stripped with a midnight cowboy. We never ventured near the Nets, preferring to stay away from the crowds. We hooked up at Pelican, Popcorn, and Seperator. Nothing big caught. I'd say 24" was about it. It was tough putting in work under clear skies and calm waters. Still, it was a good time. I managed 6 in three days.
    Thanks for the info. Glad it wasn't just us... Sounds like the bite has yet to turn on ... April looks like it will be the month this year, we'll see if I can make another trip...

Looks like Rob, bulldog, also posted in another thread and said it can be slow out there right now.

Ryan, Jeff here in San Luis. Your uncles friend. Sorry to hear the report. Sometimes you need to be mobile. You guys definitely have more patience than we do. 70 ladders at south nets would have had me heading out. Anyway, will be happy to give you report in few weeks when we go up for a longer trip.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanerb View Post
    Thanks for the info. Glad it wasn't just us... Sounds like the bite has yet to turn on ... April looks like it will be the month this year, we'll see if I can make another trip...

Looks like Rob, bulldog, also posted in another thread and said it can be slow out there right now.

Very pretty fish, ryan!

Congrats,

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the info this site brings.

Just got back from 3 or so days at Pyramid fly fishing.

Here's some quick feedback:

March 19th-22nd 2015
    No moon was out
    Weather was low 40's at night, and low to high 60's in the day
    I think water temp was high 40's
    Indicator fishing was fairly slow. Some fish, but not as hot as other years.
    Stripping flies seemed way more productive. Typical white/chartruse beetle and black wooly bugger/worm
    We saw LOTS of fish cruising in front of the ladders during the day. It seems like they wouldn't bite and weren't too interested in food.
    We did see 2 big fish caught over 2 days, but no one in our group caught any big fish (10lbs+)
    Seems like our biggest fish was nothing much more than 24"
    Top count might have been 10 fish for a person in a 12 hour day. However, most guys only had maybe 2 - 4 fish for a 12 hour day.
    Other fisherman near us, presumably better fisherman, did quite well with 10 fish counts (nearly all on the stripping rod)
    South nets was packed beyond belief with no slots open on the lineup at sun-up.
    Bite seemed better before sunup and after sundown.
    Did not venture to any other beaches.
    OVERALL, fishing did seem slow to me...I'm not the best fisherman, but 2-4 fish after standing on the ladders from sun-up to sun-down is tough...

Tight lines,
    Ryan

Hey Ryan, Sorry you did not have a few more takedowns.

In my Powerpoint Presentation on Pyramid Lake I go through in detail the situation you just faced and show the research that validates my latest fishing report.

March and April is the time of year all the out of town fishermen are trained to make their yearly journey to the lake. It is the time of year that the summit lake strain spawn and show up in numbers in shallow water. It is also the time that we are all expecting to catch more fish. The lake is going through some changes and there are way less summit lake fish in the lake. I have a stocking report from the last 15 years I show in my presentation that tells the story. The Pilot Peak strain of fish do not necessarily act like the summits and cruise the shelves in the spring. They tend to be more catchable in October-November and again in May-Early June.

There are still some great days at the lake in March and April and some big fish being caught. A lot of the big ones are the Pilot Peak strain but they tend to be one here and one there. If you look back at some of my reports from last season I bet you will find a very similar report to this week that says there are usually a couple of days a week that are really good and the rest are indifferent. The weather drives the bus on most days. All you have to do is catch one of those huge Pilot Peak fish to make your trip worth while. Your report is not unusual for sure. Just know that the lake is changing and so is the fishing with this new strain of fish.

Rob Anderson
    Pyramid Lake Fly Fishing
    [URL="http://pyramidlakeflyfishing.com"]www.pyramidlakeflyfishing.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GGFC group shot 13 12 pounder.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	10543

Hi Guys,

Jeff, good to hear from ya. Rob, thanks for the feedback and advice over the years.

Sorry if I sounded so 'down', but we did have a good time. Any day out on the lake is better than a day at work! It was great to be out there and out on the clear water.

They are long days, and I probably have a bit of unrealistic expectations to catch 20 fish a day haha

If I lived in Reno, I would just go out there for a couple hours a lot more often. Sometimes those long trips you can get a little burned out after too many hours on the ladder (I don't have the sit down one either haha) I do think driving around to different beaches might break it up a bit more (we camp at south nets and its kind of like a big camping trip / get together) It is a unique fishing compared to boat fishing or river fishing.

Anyways, I look forward to hearing the reports from the rest of you over the coming weeks, and hope you get into the fish! I hope my report was helpful to some, and others could just enjoy the fish. Tight lines!!

-Ryan

For me its not a numbers game at pyramid.
    Its all about that one fish. You can spend hours, days and years trying to land that one over ten pounds.
    SOme days it can be casting practice. Treat it like steelhead fishing. Always be ready and dont give up.
    Ive been fishing the lake a good 5+ years easy and finally broke that 10# mark this year. Put in your time. Get creative. THink outside the box.
    Last edited by Morgan; 03-24-2015 at 03:18 PM.