Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Uniforms"

Next thing you'll be wearing tweeds and a tie. It all goes with the pipe--a Dunhill for sure.

Harlan, a former pipe smoker.

Quote Originally Posted by El Rey View Post
    Next thing you'll be wearing tweeds and a tie. It all goes with the pipe--a Dunhill for sure.

Harlan, a former pipe smoker.
    No tweeds and tie. I have to draw the line somewhere.

I came across a picture that made me think of this "uniforms" thread. I found a picture of myself and some friends in a book called The Little Book Of Fly Fishing, pictures by Dale Spartas, a very talented outdoor photographer and author. We were on a fly fishing trip in Montana. There's eight guys in the photo. Seven of the guys are in uniform - waders, vests, drab colors. For whatever reason, I am in bright red shorts and a white knit polo shirt. I look like I came from the cast of Caddyshack. The picture is from many years ago, so I guess I just hadn't gotten the uniform down yet.

Well, even though the post apparently wasn't funny or deserving of a response, believe me the picture is hilarious. Maybe I'll try something more controversial next time. In the meantime, maybe someone could get rid of the crickets by posting another thread under this topic???

Quote Originally Posted by PMD View Post
    Funny topic. It seems like some of the younger fly fisherman (35yrs or younger) are sporting flat brim ball caps and big beards on their instagram accounts. I'm 40 in a few days, can't grow a beard and have a small head so I can't wear either.......
    I turn 35 this December, so going to relish in the last few months of being considered "younger" haha.

There is the typical sea of beige out there, and you can't forget about the mudflap hat either

I get some weird looks from people on the water occasionally, I'm usually wearing louder buffalo check shirts and obnoxious floral snapback hats, or tall tees and bright blue Patagonia shorts, but I guess how I look on the water is an extension of how I look on land.

I look back at pictures in the 30's/40's etc and you see all these immaculately dressed fly fishers...and I don't think they were intending to try to be fashionable on the river, they just were conscious about their appearance regardless of their environment. Somewhere around the 80's maybe it all fell apart and people started not caring what they looked like, and they all ended up looking the same. There are some pretty rad brands making stuff for the fly fishing market; Howler Bros, CoalaTree, Patagonia...like a fusion of casual streetwear but with functionality (even though that's not really needed), just seems really hard for fly shops to mix in a few of these products. So most of us will just go buy them elsewhere (when we'd rather support fly shops), even though they're built by flyfishermen (and women), designed to be functional, made consciously (US built, eco friendly, etc) and should be supported by actual fly fishing stores.

Other option is to just let your significant other dress you and match on the river.

We just need those "If lost return to Ashley" & "I'm Ashley" tee shirts for each of us haha

For pants lots of us older guys wear Levis or Khakis.

Younger crowd wears sports clothing.....far more comfortable.

People who work outside always have a hat.

Years ago I could spot the young military guys who came into our store when we had more military bases.

I love to find out about people after looking them mover. I am always curious about people......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........