Thread: American river fishing report

Cool American river fishing report

I took the last couple of weeks off to reconnect with stripers on the delta since fishing on the American was less than stellar. I fished the American this week and found some steel. Monday I landed a half pounder and about a 4 or 5 pounder. Today I landed two wild half pounders and about a 6 pound hatchery hen. They were all quite acrobatic and in fast, deepish water. I was swinging with my spey rod with sink tips ending with my, U Name It, streamer. One half pounder came on a soft hackle. This has been a tough winter, having only hooked 7 adults on the streamer. I love how they don't fu##### around with that baitfish fly and annihilate it!!! There are some fish out there, guys and gals. Put in your time, you might just get out of jail.

Thank you for the report Andrew, I've been fooling around on the Yuba and doing OK but will be back on the A next weekend. P

This is a good time for all Valley rivers as long as we don't have flooding.........March/April/May

Get out there.....caddis, small salmon patterns, sculpin patterns, crayfish patterns?......

There are spring run adult Steelhead (3-6#) and spring run Half-pounders (12-18") in there most springs.

Early and late in the day or on all day on overcast days for best results.

andrew is Andy Guibord....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Andy's the man!

If we don't have flooding ? In this stage of the game, we'll be lucky enough to have enough water to to bring up the Shad and Striper. Not trying to be pessimistic- but lets hope for the best!!!!
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the size of fish that I catch, the courage not to fib about it, and the wisdom to know that no one would believe me any way".

Right on Andy! There is talk flows may be dropping to 500 cfs next week.

Temp is 54 degrees at Sailor Bar.
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Uggggg!!!! I was wondering when they were going to drop us to 500. Hiawatha, hiawatha, cowabunga, bunga, cowabunga, hiawatha, hiawatha, cowabunga, cowabunga....please rain!!!!!!

yup
    700 on Tuesday
    600 Wednesday
    500 CFS Thursday
    so sad but not at all unexpected

At least DWR had the foresight (or hindsight) to not do what they did last year and strand all the fry by lowering the flows in February...