Thread: Bead Size Mystery - 4.8 mm and 3/16"?

Default Bead Size Mystery - 4.8 mm and 3/16"?

Hey Guys. I have a bead size mystery I am hoping that someone might understand AND help me figure out.

So I have a ton of beads in all colors. Where I am having trouble is that I have 4mm beads and 4.8mm beads. The 4.0mm are a bit small for most of my #8 flies. While the 4.8mm are a bit too big. I have a ton of flies that I store bought prior to learning to tie...and they have a size in the middle...~4.4mm. I can't seem to figure out what the deal is. I actually walked into the Orvis Roseville store(close to where I live) and they had 4 colors of beads. 3 of the 4 colors in 3/16" were actually 4.8mm. However, one from the same company with slightly different packing, same size 3/16", was actually the bead size I am trying to find. 3/16" is almost exactly 4.8 mm, 4.792 to be exact. So technically, 3/16" SHOULD be 4.8mm. Not sure if some companies are selling 3/16" as the in between size that is perfect size, imo, for a #8 nymph/bugger etc...

BTW, I bought those beads in black nickel color. Still searching for an answer to this question and copper/gold beads of that size. Anyone have any clue what I am talking about? I would love to know how to buy these by brand and/or size on packaging rather than having to travel all over to different fly shops and take beads to compare sizes...and hope I find the right bead size.

Any and all help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys/girls!

Hey fish on,
    I have found that the beads vary a little in diameter to stated size for Hareline, Spirit River, and Montana fly co. I have beads from these guys. Here is the reference chart I go by. Hope this is what you are looking for.

2mm = 5/64
    2.3 or 2.4mm = 3/32
    2.8 to 3mm = 7/64
    3.2mm = 1/8
    4mm = 5/32
    4.8mm = 3/16
    5.5mm = 7/32
    6.3mm = 1/4

My rule of thumb is size 2 hook gets a 1/4, size 4 gets a 1/4 or 7/32, size 6 gets a 3/16, size 8 and 10 get a 5/32, size 12 a 1/8 bead, size 14 a 7/64 bead, size 16 a 3/32 bead, size 18 or 20 a 5/64 bead.

Most of my beads are Spirit River. Hope this is of some help.

Bob Scheidt

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Scheidt View Post
    size 8 and 10 get a 5/32, size 12 a 1/8 bead, size 14 a 7/64 bead, size 16 a 3/32 bead, size 18 or 20 a 5/64 bead.

Bob Scheidt
    Thanks Bob. However, that's just it. For me...a 4 mm or 5/32 is too small for a #8 IMO. Pretty much ALL of the commercially tied flies I have in my box have an in between size that for me is perfect. So no that's not it. I really appreciate your trying to help though. I too have a lot of Spirit River beads...part of the problem I think. I also have some Allen beads but not in THESE sizes...mostly smaller. Thanks again.

As Bob said, beads vary in size, mostly because they are bought in bulk in metric sizes and then repackaged, often to the closest matching english measurement. Not much you can do about that except get a micrometer and size the beads and when you find your magic size, buy a LOT of them. I do not know of anyone who makes a 4.4mm bead per se. I buy mine in bulk from http://www.canadianllama.com and you might want to drop Kent a line and see if he has anything in the range you need.

Personally I tend to oversize my beads, but I really doubt the fish care much.
    Last edited by JD; 03-19-2015 at 10:59 AM.
    -JD

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

Personally I tend to oversize my beads, but I really doubt the fish care much.
    Fish don't care at all . If only I could reclaim all the time I've wasted looking for the perfect color of dubbing/favorite hooks that were discontinued/insert fly-tyer fixation here ......

D.~

Quote Originally Posted by frequent flyer View Post
    Thank you so much. I just bought these. I am still not sure about the mystery but I won't have to find an answer now...likely for many years lol.

Quote Originally Posted by David Lee View Post
    Fish don't care at all . If only I could reclaim all the time I've wasted looking for the perfect color of dubbing/favorite hooks that were discontinued/insert fly-tyer fixation here ......

D.~
    Thanks David...I know exactly what you are talking about. For me on this one it's about proportion, as much weight as possible for that hook size and still enough room to tie the fly as I would like it. Thanks for everyone's thoughts and help. Greatly appreciated! SYOTR.

I am still not sure about the mystery but I won't have to find an answer now...likely for many years lol.

samsung note 5 handytasche
    Last edited by Huanns; 08-29-2015 at 06:42 PM.
    Du kannst dem Leben nicht mehr Tage geben - aber dem Tag mehr Leben hulle6