Thread: A Day with my Son

Default A Day with my Son

Its a funny thing when your kids become adults. All of a sudden they have spouses and jobs and calendars. In my case on top of all those hurdles to overcome, my son and daughter in law moved to New Jersey. After 4 years Im glad to say they are back in CA. Well ever since my son had been back he had been wanting to get out and fish. For one reason or another it never seemed to work. Finally the schedules aligned, the stars aligned and we were going fishing!

What a great day, laughing , joking, remembering things from years gone by, talking about the future ……….. AWSOME. The moral of the story is spend time with your kids no matter how old they are or how difficult it is to make happen, keep trying. That is time well spent.

Oh yeah we caught some fish too. We ended up spending the day on the Moke and despite the CROWDS, we actually had a pretty good day. Of course the kid landed the big fish for the day, a nice 21" wild steelhead.

Chris

Awesome your son moved back here.

I enjoy fishing with my old man, but it's not too often due to distance.

As my son approached his ship date for boot camp, I became very cognizant that our fishing days were more limited. When we hiked out of a canyon on our last trip before he left, I told him to hike up as quick as he could, under the auspice of fitness training. What he didn't see was me getting misty eyed reminiscing over all the many adventures we had on the water.

When we go out for his graduation in April, I'll have a custom pack rod as a grad gift for him and a chance to wet a line with a soldier. Yep, cherish every session and live in the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderingblues View Post
    Yep, cherish every session and live in the moment.
    +1............

Wanderingblues I sent you a pm

Wow, that actually got me a little choked up! I remember after my died passed away unexpectedly when I was 18. It didn't seem real for some time. The day it actually set in was a few months later camping with friends, I hooked a really pretty little rainbow on a stream we used to camp at as a family. My first thought was, "I need to show this fish to Dad..."

Now having little boys of my own (my 5 year old has been promised his first stream fishing trip this spring), I love spending time with them. Especially fishing!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderingblues View Post
    As my son approached his ship date for boot camp, I became very cognizant that our fishing days were more limited. When we hiked out of a canyon on our last trip before he left, I told him to hike up as quick as he could, under the auspice of fitness training. What he didn't see was me getting misty eyed reminiscing over all the many adventures we had on the water.

When we go out for his graduation in April, I'll have a custom pack rod as a grad gift for him and a chance to wet a line with a soldier. Yep, cherish every session and live in the moment.
    A.K.A. Colfaxtroutman