Thread: Pyramid Lake Lance Gray Tour with Rob Anderson

Default Pyramid Lake Lance Gray Tour with Rob Anderson

This last weekend I was lucky enough to attend my first ever Lance Gray Fly Fishing Tour. This tour was lead by Rob Anderson, the first and longest operating fly fishing guide at Pyramid Lake. He is a treasure trove of knowledge and was willing to share what he has learn over the years to help us become self sufficient if we ever wanted to fish the lake on our own. While conditions were less than ideal at the lake (blue bird skies and no wind), Rob still put us on fish. Our group caught more fish than anyone around us no matter what spot we were at, which just goes to show Rob is a true pro at this game.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6694.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	10492
    My first fish of the weekend

Over the course of the weekend Rob covered all the techniques we would need to master in order to effectively fish Pyramid. While I personally like stripping beetles on a shooting head setup, he made sure that I properly learned how to setup and fish an indicator rig for Pyramid. This included a handy trick for measuring the depth of where you will be casting so that your nymphs will be suspended just off the bottom. He also drove us to pretty much every spot on the lake and went over what techniques to use there and under what conditions to fish them.

Name:	Cuts in Nets.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	10489
    A double header of a male and female in spawning colors

Name:	Two Cutts.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	10490

Overall it was a fantastic and educational weekend, Rob cooked us up hot lunches both day which included some delicious burgers and homemade salsa. While fishing wasn't off the hook like the weekend prior during the snow storm, it was was consistent and gave us the opportunity to build confidence with different techniques. I would highly recommend either attending another Lance Gray Tour at Pyramid or just hiring Rob for a few days and having him show you the ropes.

Name:	Rob.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	10491
    Thanks for the great weekend Rob, I'll definitely be back again this spring.

Lance/Rob, thanks for getting more people into the sport. The "tour" program has been a real success.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Thomas View Post
    Lance/Rob, thanks for getting more people into the sport. The "tour" program has been a real success.
    Terry,

Thanks so much for the shout out. You and everyone at Kiene's have always support the tours and LGC. Thank You!!
    The tours are just that. A way to introduce anglers to a place that they have no idea or just need a little help getting over the learning hump. In the last three years we have had more than 400 fly fishers in the tours. Which is awesome. The tours are designed just not for fishing access and rigging, the tour program concentrates on all aspects of the fishery. We teach anglers to be stewards of the water. We build confidence in people so they can go back to the water and be successful. We do all that with very inexpensive rates for the fly fishers that attend. It's a great program that we have expanded over the years.

Travis

I am glad you had a great time. Rob is an awesome instructor and his passion for Pyramid is unmatched. I am glad you had a great time.
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Thanks Lance, I'll definitely be joining some of the other tours as well!