Thread: Indicator Depth at Pyramid

Default Indicator Depth at Pyramid

Alright guys, at Crowley, we clip the forceps to the fly, and lower it down off the float tube or boat to check and set the depth of the indicator.

What are guys doing from Pyramid? I'm heading up there in a few days!

I have fished it many times and the best I came up with was use the forceps and just throw them out there where I will be casting.

This method is NOT very elegant.

Typically the depth where you are casting is a bit deeper than where the ladder is...

And yes, I am aware of the 'new' method of no-indicator fishing... I may try that this trip, but we'll see.

Anyways, lets talk indicator depth!
    1. How do you set indicator depth at Pyramid from the ladder?
    2. How high do you put your bottom fly above the bottom at Pyramid?

As a rule, 6 feet to top fly is a good start for most beaches. No reason why you can't use the Crowley method. Just use a heavy enough weight to sink a bobber, cast out and adjust depth accordingly. A foot above the bottom is a good point for the dropper, but you will sometimes find the fish a bit higher up, so playing with depth can be important at times.
    -JD

Quote Originally Posted by ryanerb View Post
    Alright guys, at Crowley, we clip the forceps to the fly, and lower it down off the float tube or boat to check and set the depth of the indicator.

What are guys doing from Pyramid? I'm heading up there in a few days!

I have fished it many times and the best I came up with was use the forceps and just throw them out there where I will be casting.

This method is NOT very elegant.

Typically the depth where you are casting is a bit deeper than where the ladder is...

And yes, I am aware of the 'new' method of no-indicator fishing... I may try that this trip, but we'll see.

Anyways, lets talk indicator depth!
    1. How do you set indicator depth at Pyramid from the ladder?
    2. How high do you put your bottom fly above the bottom at Pyramid?
    Go to the Beaches page on www.pyramidlakeflyfishing.com/beaches to get a good idea of the starting depth at most of the major fishing locations around the lake. That is a good way to start. I commonly toss out my indicator rig with a big split shot just above the bottom fly that will sink my indo. You can cast it about 30-40 feet. It is much more effective than hemostats. Keep in mind that it will not be perfectly vertical when you do this and factor in the angle of the line in the water. Err on the shallow side to start. Fishing nymphs without an indicator has been around for a long time it is not new at all. We are doing it with a Rio Hover line to reduce drag and increase hookups over the past couple of years but 90% of the time you can't keep up with the indicator rig. Even with the more effective Hover line.

Rob Anderson
    Reno Fly Fishing Outfitters
    Pyramid Lake Fly Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Bull_Dog View Post
    Go to the Beaches page on www.pyramidlakeflyfishing.com/beaches to get a good idea of the starting depth at most of the major fishing locations around the lake. That is a good way to start. I commonly toss out my indicator rig with a big split shot just above the bottom fly that will sink my indo. You can cast it about 30-40 feet. It is much more effective than hemostats. Keep in mind that it will not be perfectly vertical when you do this and factor in the angle of the line in the water. Err on the shallow side to start. Fishing nymphs without an indicator has been around for a long time it is not new at all. We are doing it with a Rio Hover line to reduce drag and increase hookups over the past couple of years but 90% of the time you can't keep up with the indicator rig. Even with the more effective Hover line.

Rob Anderson
    Reno Fly Fishing Outfitters
    Pyramid Lake Fly Fishing
    Hi Rob, great info! Thanks for sharing.