Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: American Fly Fishing and Kienes to Combine

I too, am mystified why a decent fly shop doesn't exist in the East Bay. Andy Puyans almost invented the genera in Walnut Creek and Pete Wooly made a killing in Lafayette. Maybe now the rent is too high and the clientele are too internet savvy for a brick and mortar to survive?

The cost of doing business in California is very high.

I know the Bay Area is even higher.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    The cost of doing business in California is very high.

I know the Bay Area is even higher.
    Unless you happen to be one of those companies (tech comes to mind) that cities want in their area and they give them all sorts of concessions to locate there. Another example of an uneven playing field.

Mike Powers at American was an absolutely fantastic guy, though I don't think he's worked there for a while. Mike got me into Winstons after we spent an hour, easy, fooling around with eight or so rods on the lawn out back. No pressure, no suggestion of any specific rod, but after finally deciding I loved the Winston he said "So do I. I hoped you'd like it, too, but wanted you to figure it out yourself."

We fished much of the same water, spent a lot of time talking about our mutual love of prams, and when I moved to the East Coast I gave him a list of some secret lakes and streams to keep an eye on for me. Never wet a line or had a beer with him, and we missed each other on the Fall a couple times, but I sure wish I had.

Beyond that, gosh, I couldn't count the number of times Al told me I was wasting my time fishing for trout and need to switch entirely to Delta stripers, and oh, while I'm at it, buy whatever the spiffiest rod Sage just came out with was.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerLilly View Post
    I too, am mystified why a decent fly shop doesn't exist in the East Bay. Andy Puyans almost invented the genera in Walnut Creek and Pete Wooly made a killing in Lafayette. Maybe now the rent is too high and the clientele are too internet savvy for a brick and mortar to survive?
    Isn't leland fly shop still in SF? Bush st and Grant I think It's not east bay but close. All though with traffic you can get to Sacramento and back faster. LOL

No Leland closed sf years ago, moved to sonoma

Quote Originally Posted by cmcdhuibh View Post
    Isn't leland fly shop still in SF? Bush st and Grant I think It's not east bay but close. All though with traffic you can get to Sacramento and back faster. LOL
    Lost Coast is the only fly shop I know of in SF. But, as you said, traffic is an issue. And then there's the $6 for toll and $35 to park (financial district). Much faster to get to the Albany fly shop for us in the East Bay.

I've never understood why REI doesn't have a fly fishing department in their stores.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsquires View Post
    Lost Coast is the only fly shop I know of in SF. But, as you said, traffic is an issue. And then there's the $6 for toll and $35 to park (financial district). Much faster to get to the Albany fly shop for us in the East Bay.

I've never understood why REI doesn't have a fly fishing department in their stores.
    Lost Coast Outfitters is a cool little place. The owner (george revel) is a great guy. A real pro in every sense. i make it a habit to pay him a visit when i'm in the city.

Whoever said Al tried to transition them too stripers that was classic. And then he throws out we caught like 87 fish in an afternoon. AL the math doesn't work. Sorry maybe with a net.

"Annie" is her name. She's Gary Eblen's dog and indeed a nice shop dog to have around. Being that Gary will now be a managing party, I suspect we will see Annie around. Thanks Matt.
    "The solution to any problem -work, love, money, whatever -is to go fly fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." -John Gierach

Mike P. has been at AFFC for, I believe, 13 of the 25 or so years they have been in business. Very knowledgeable & helpful.
    "The solution to any problem -work, love, money, whatever -is to go fly fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." -John Gierach