Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: American Fly Fishing and Kienes to Combine

The big picture is not about personalities and who loves whom. It is about a very large, deep pockets holding company, Grizzly Hackle LLC, acquiring Kiene's then buying out their competition. Knocking off American is not only a smart move in terms of removing B&M competition, but picks up their very well developed web presence that Kiene's has never been able to get off the ground. Feeble web presence is also the Achilles heel of FF Specialties and the California Fly Shop. GH has the firepower to undermine them both. Put your head in the sand and call this an April Fool's joke (Mark Kranhold), but the reality is that small, independent fly shops in California are in the bulls eye. With out of state corporate dollars driving Kiene's and Bass Pro moving into Rocklin, it will be a pivotal year for Fly Fishing Specialties. Personally, I hope FFS can hold their own.

Truly a sad day when I heard Kiene's is closing on April 1st! For me that is what it amounts to. Merging was truly a bad business decision. Mergers are intended to improve business - to improve branding; not weaken it. Clearly, GH doesn't know the "cultural" fly fishing market or they would have waited out AFF - if you've noticed lately, they are no larger than a walk-in closet.

I supported Kiene's even after Bill sold it and when it was renamed FishWest- out of respect for Bill. Personally, I spent more money there when the Kiene named returned. The gear I can get anywhere, but I liked the guys. I liked going to the fly shop to BS with the guys. For me, Kiene's is closing and have two weeks to visit the store before it closes.

Looks like Gary is moving his American business into our big new Kiene's 7,000 sq ft store and take over managing too.

Kiene's has a really good walk in business and Gary has a cutting edge online store.......good.

We will blend our travel businesses too.

We will be blending our staffs.

We think it will be good for everyone, merging two old Sacramento fly shops for a common good for all.

If some don't think it is a good idea, well that is their opinion.

We think it is going to be a good move for all.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Well, time will be the judge.

I only wish we had that problem in the East Bay.

Hey Billy -

I have been with you since 1975 when you started the Sacramento Fly Hutch Shop, and with Kienes leading the new Shop's name, I am still with you. Loyalty is a so very important in this world, and "I PLAN ON LEAVING THE DANCE WITH THE DATE I CAME WITH"...and for me the dance isn't over yet.

Take care of your selves in Florida, and I will see you and Marilyn at the Shop's EXPO.

Your Friend,

Bob

Remembering back to when Bill had us all going about his retirement, long before he did retire and the time that Scott ( I think it was Scott ) bamboozled most of us with his announcement that we was buying Kiene’s and the changes he was going to be making. From out here in the sticks, I’m not sure if this is an elaborate hoax with many players or if it’s real. Only one way to tell I guess. Road Trip to Kiene’s for the April Shindig.

In the interim, I wish you all luck in whatever the hell is going on.
    Dave

Man. The last couple of years of Sacramento fly shop drama has read like a soap opera script. Kinda fun to watch actually.

I've frequented all three Sacramento area shops over the years and have nothing negative to say about any of them. All cool shops with unique ups and downs. I'm just glad we have quality places where fish obsessed folks like myself can pop in, shoot the shit and buy some egg yarn.

Good luck to all involved and long live Kiene's Special American Grizzly!

P.S. - Just be sure to keep a healthy stock of McFly Foam in Oregon Cheese color or we'll have problems...

Clark

As long as folks like Andy work at Kienes I'll give em my business. I personally don't care who owns the "corporation"....
    They employ great folks like Andy and the other guys in there who give excellent customer service.

I do hope that dog that's in AFF shows up at Kienes.. The black friendly dog, don't remember the name.

Best of luck to all during this conversion. I'll see you all in April.

Matt

"I only wish we had that problem in the East Bay." To John Squires you should check out Fish First in Albany!! It is probably the best shop left in the Bay Area. Great customer service and knowledge of local waters. Leo is a great guy. They also have a shop in Chico. As for Kienes merging with American I am not so sure it is a good idea…. For Sac shops Fly Fishing Specialties has a better vibe...

I've been to Fish First and had a good experience and would go back anytime I'm in the area. Great area, friendly and knowledgeable service, cheap parking.

I should have been more specific and said "Concord, Walnut Creek," instead of "East Bay."

For a place that doesn't have a "river running through it," Concord and Walnut Creek has a crazy amount of fly fishers living in it - and what do they have as far as a well-stocked fly shop?

Maybe the next move for the group that bought out Kiene's, American, etc., should be to open up a fly shop in Black Hawk Plaza. The sports up there wouldn't even blink at a $900 tag on a fly rod, which I guess, besides travel, is where you make the money in the fly shop business these days.