Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: American Fly Fishing and Kienes to Combine

I love having a good fly shop in my area. I hope this decision allows business to build.

If I hadn't received an email from Kiene's stating this was the case I would have a hard time believing this to be true, but maybe not.

I called Grizzly Hackle, and it is true......and I'm sad.....
    From what I know of American......that one trip was enough.....how could this be?
    What do you get when you roll a great shop, and a bad shop in together?
    We'll see....

Quote Originally Posted by bigfly View Post
    I called Grizzly Hackle, and it is true......and I'm sad.....
    From what I know of American......that one trip was enough.....how could this be?
    What do you get when you roll a great shop, and a bad shop in together?
    We'll see....
    My 4 visits there years ago were overwhelmingly negative - hard-sell staff and obnoxious management . I don't spend a lot of time in any fly shop anymore , but I know the staff I will avoid if I do need to go and get something .

A sad decision , and the end of an era !!

D.~

Like Paul on Good Friday, like James Imhoff and global warming, I'll continue to deny it until it's too late. American supported the American River very well, but the shop and staff had some real integrity issues. Nothing positive if this isn't an April Fools prank, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by David Lee View Post
    My 4 visits there years ago were overwhelmingly negative - hard-sell staff and obnoxious management . I don't spend a lot of time in any fly shop anymore , but I know the staff I will avoid if I do need to go and get something .

A sad decision , and the end of an era !!

D.~
    Its true. I got the same note on facebook. They are having 20% off everything as a moving sale so I'm on my way over. Might as well try and get some deals. Bummer. I really like Gary.

Default Kiene's American....???

I suppose change is inevitable. The "new broom sweeps clean". I like Gary but I always thought he wanted a haberdashery/travel agency with a fly shop on the side. Lots of stylish clothing items. High end inventory. tho, his shop rarely had any of the materials I wanted/used. Never felt any high pressure from the sales people. There're a couple of the guide/sales staff at American that I found to be less than credible but nothing major. It'll be interesting to see how the current Kiene's staff will match up with American's....

Wonder how all of this will impact the continuation of this Bulletin Board????
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

No one likes change but change is inevitable and I'm sure there will be some staff shakeout, some growing pains, but give Gary a chance. He's an ok guy.
    We are lucky to have a fly shop of this size in town, lots of bigger cities don't have one.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry from sac View Post
    No one likes change but change is inevitable and I'm sure there will be some staff shakeout, some growing pains, but give Gary a chance. He's an ok guy.
    We are lucky to have a fly shop of this size in town, lots of bigger cities don't have one.
    I was over at American Fly today. Guys seemed pretty upbeat actually. I would bet some good will come out of this for Kienes store with Gary's marketing touch. Good deals over there. I picked up a nice Fishpond chest pack highly discounted. I liked the cozy feeling of the store. I will miss that.

Quote Originally Posted by hwchubb View Post
    Like Paul on Good Friday, like James Imhoff and global warming, I'll continue to deny it until it's too late. American supported the American River very well, but the shop and staff had some real integrity issues. Nothing positive if this isn't an April Fools prank, IMHO.
    I'm assuming you mean Inhove??
    What a beauty! So they put him in charge of what committee? Pathetic. And not good news for the folks who are fighting the proposed Pebble Mine.