Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: American Fly Fishing and Kienes to Combine

Don't believe the rumors, until you sit down and chat with Steve Jensen. Salt of the Earth, very passionate about our industry.
    "The solution to any problem -work, love, money, whatever -is to go fly fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." -John Gierach

No shop in Colorado. Just Missoula, Sacramento & Fullerton. They also broke the ties with FishWest, just as quickly as they moved in.
    "The solution to any problem -work, love, money, whatever -is to go fly fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." -John Gierach

This is my first time posting on the Kiene Thread..Ive been lurking for years and never had much worthwhile to contribute. I would have to say that this merge is really disappointing to me.

When I first moved up to Northern California from San Diego in 1998, I became a customer at American Fly Fishing Co. while I was attending UC Davis. Even as a young customer, the pressure to buy the next best rod, the newest reel, etc etc was always very high (even though I was a college student with little money).

Ive also noticed some very unethical fishing and pictures on their facebook posts over the years. A golden trout covered in dirt and held up for a picture...first off why would you do that to an endangered fish, and secondly why would you take a picture of it, and finally why in god's name would you post said picture on facebook??????

I met Maury Hatch a few years back and he turned me onto Kiene's. I would have to say that EVERYONE on staff at Kienes have been incredibly helpful, friendly, and honest. I have never once felt pressure to buy a more expensive piece of equipment than I needed, and thus I ended up spending a lot more money there than I would have otherwise.

April 1st (merger -D day) is most certainly a sad day for the sacramento fly fishing community as we all lose a great shop with a fantastic culture.

I for one am looking forward to knowing the staff at Fly Fishing Specialties better.

I have worked at Kiene's Fly Shop for over 24 years. It has been a privilege to have served this fly fishing community for so many years. I look forward to many more. April first will see the merging of two stores that use to be rivals. Life is full of surprises. I want all of you to know that myself and the other Kiene employees that you have come to trust over the years will continue to serve you along with the merging members of American Fly Fishing Company. Together we hope that you will give us a chance to continue providing a caring and helpful service into the ever changing future. Thank you for your time and support. Tight Lines, Andy Guibord.

All my experiences over the years at Kiene's and American FF have been positive. Sacramento fly fishers are fortunate.

Actually, all my experiences at The Fly Shop have been positive, also.

And my favorite for Alaska patterns and gear is Alaska Fly Fishing Goods. I love their website.

Only negative experiences have been at our local shop (actually, it's kind of a nonexperience since there is no engaging in conversation and rarely do I find what I went in for) and at an Orvis shop near Boston (even though I was purchasing a fly box, they wouldn't let me use their restroom). Oh, and a fly shop in Mizzoula who, very obviously, sold us some flies that they just wanted to get out of their inventory.

Looking forward to April 18. I'm driving over from Concord to check out what I'm sure will be a great shop.

American FF is the closest shop to my doorstep. I've bought plenty of gear from them and have had positive experiences, do they want to sell me a 2000$ setup? Sure, but I never got the hard sell from them. I always felt like I got a good deal from them, and I prefer not to go the online route and keep my dollars in Sacramento. I migrated to Kienes because of their spey expertise, but it had nothing to do with the people working at American Fly. I have mixed feelings about the merger, multiple shops keeps the competition alive and lets shops specialize in what they are good at. A one stop fly fishing Walmart in Sacramento is not something I look forward to. I wish the best to FFS and the new Kienes.

Default here's why

Quote Originally Posted by E.Drucker View Post
    This is my first time posting on the Kiene Thread..Ive been lurking for years and never had much worthwhile to contribute. I would have to say that this merge is really disappointing to me.

When I first moved up to Northern California from San Diego in 1998, I became a customer at American Fly Fishing Co. while I was attending UC Davis. Even as a young customer, the pressure to buy the next best rod, the newest reel, etc etc was always very high (even though I was a college student with little money).

Ive also noticed some very unethical fishing and pictures on their facebook posts over the years. A golden trout covered in dirt and held up for a picture...first off why would you do that to an endangered fish, and secondly why would you take a picture of it, and finally why in god's name would you post said picture on facebook??????

I met Maury Hatch a few years back and he turned me onto Kiene's. I would have to say that EVERYONE on staff at Kienes have been incredibly helpful, friendly, and honest. I have never once felt pressure to buy a more expensive piece of equipment than I needed, and thus I ended up spending a lot more money there than I would have otherwise.

April 1st (merger -D day) is most certainly a sad day for the sacramento fly fishing community as we all lose a great shop with a fantastic culture.

I for one am looking forward to knowing the staff at Fly Fishing Specialties better.
    Why (in God's name)? Because its allowed, so next time you post, please don't misinform. Not all golden trout are listed and retention is allowed as described in State regulations. I'm not sure of the picture you're mentioning, but if it were from those alpine lakes where lake plants of trout resulted in local extirpations of our native amphibians (which are now listed), I would give them a medal for every large golden trout they caught and killed.

Is anyone else just happy to have a fly shop? We are very fortunate to have the shops we do, many fishermen have to order online or shop at cabelas. Before you make an assumption of how the new shop will be, check it out. Don't knock it till you try it

Agree with the positive thinkers on this one. The sky is not falling! Just look at the number of Kiene
    shop regulars staying on.
    Best to all,
    Larry S

Hi Taylor, I'm grateful to have a shop(s) here as well. I think most of us here are.
    Makes me want to visit the other one as well. I haven't been there since the 90s!!