Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Streamer fishing question

The big issue right now.......
    The water is clear enough to see them chasing your fly.
    Before you strip-set, let them eat it...................
    In the last couple weeks, I've seen over a dozen "close calls"......Let them eat it!
    Let me know if arcane art of streamer fishing appeals....I have some openings.
    Have fun out there.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 03-28-2015 at 08:50 AM.

When sight fishing streamers, let the fish set the hook. WAY too many fish are lost by yanking the thing out of its mouth or only getting a light lip stick. Your file or hook hone should be closer at hand than your nippers or hemostats. Sharpen, cast, cast, cast, sharpen, cast, cast, cast, sharpen. Sharpen again.

Amen Ralph.......
    It's not just a quick set either.
    It's the damn vertical rod set too.
    When you lift them to the surface, it's fish advantage!
    They can use the faster surface water, and do that roll on the top that releases your fly. Which local fish have learned...
    Sweep-set or strip-set, playing them with a lower angle.......leave the muscle memory rod-set at home..............
    Working the water for a few hours for fish of dreams, and then take the fly away??????????
    Although the fish is OK with it. There are few things worse for client or guide........
    I have my people practice and talk about the set in advance of the moment.
    When you see you have a good drift going, actively think set!
    Because when the moment comes you won't even think, your body will do the action. The question will be if/how you trained yourself.
    Most of us come from the dry fly thing first, so that's the set we use for everything......
    I've been watching a friend learn this....it's painful for some, easy for others....
    If you master this, your stats will go up.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 03-30-2015 at 12:38 PM.
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

Thanks everyone, now if I can just get myself up to the Truckee.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

I usually keep some short pre made sink tips in the 5-10' range of t-8 or t-11. (7.5' is a great size for the Truckee) Some lighter poly leaders can be a good idea too. When you get bored nymphing, just loop them onto the end of your fly line and attach a short 4-6' leader of 0x or 01x. I've had break offs on 1 and 2x. Your avg western nymphing rod can handle the tips, but if you want to use a dedicated rod, try a 7-8wt you'd use for the salt or grab the switch. If you're walk n wade, use lighter flies that shed water and that you can put where you want on the first cast. I love the big articulated stuff, but I usually keep those around for when I float in a boat. Also make sure to keep a few black coneheads in your vest to slide onto the leader, like a warmwater texas rig if you need more sink rate. Good luck Scott!
    My little fishing/fly tying blog- http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com/

I mostly like to fish a 6 wt. with a floater, 3 feet for 14 lb, 3 feet of 12 lb. Some kind of heavy conehead like a zuddler or bugger. Work a juicy bank. It's a simple, yet effective way to fish. Its a lot like bass fishing actually. I'll fish with sink tips on my switch on bigger, deeper runs, but I prefer a smaller rod with a floater. Work fast, cover a lot of water.

What's a fly caster's fish?

Quote Originally Posted by retroglass View Post
    One of the best pattern is a Speckled Dace Pattern By Randy Johnson called the Snork Tailed Streamer. Fished dead drift and across.
    Many big fish have come off that pattern in the Truckee . Fly Caster's fish can't resist it.
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

The San Fransico Fly Casters club water.
    Est. 1903. they introduced our fish and even had a hatchery at one point.
    Locals refer to them as casters or club fish.
    Somewhat easier to catch than wild fish.....
    Helps out beginners though..
    Last edited by bigfly; 04-02-2015 at 10:21 AM.