Thread: Lewiston Lake

Default Lewiston Lake

I fished Lewiston Lake many years ago with a group from a fly club. My memory is not what it used to be, but what I remember is it was a bit like fishing the Fall River. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I remember it wasn't crowded and that it was relaxing, had some very nice trout teasing me, and that I enjoyed it even though I didn't catch many fish. Seemed like the guys who were catching the fish were using midges and long, light leaders and tippets.

I'm thinking (if the part about not crowded hasn't changed) I'd like to fish it again and learn how to do it right. So what I'm looking for is recommendations for a guide.

John

And this is a post where the fewer people who respond, the more it will make me want to go there.

Never fished it, can't help, sorry. Now, about the tip you plan on leaving the guide...
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Lewiston is unique in that the first mile or two it fishes like a tailwater from the dam almost to the marina. Once you near the marina it fishes like a reservoir as this water is both a tailwater and a reservoir.

If I wanted a guide for that water I would probably contact the Fly Shop in Redding.

As with most locations in CA if you don't want the crowds fish mid-week.

As far as flys I have caught fish there any number of ways from swinging or stripping streamers and wets, to indicator nymphing and also with dry flys. Depends on where you are fishing and the current conditions. Using midges on long leaders is very popular.

Yes, if there is current, it does fish like the Fall, but that depends on flows. It is not very crowded during off season, but by summer you will definitely have company. Redding Fly Shop has plenty of guides who know this lake, but of the choices, I would recommend Greg Dean if you really wanted to go that route. Luck.
    -JD

Quote Originally Posted by WinterrunRon View Post
    Never fished it, can't help, sorry. Now, about the tip you plan on leaving the guide...
    You know, I almost typed "And I do tip" in my original post, then I figured I better not stir the pot.
    Thanks for making me laugh.

Contact the Trinity Fly Shop for info and maybe a guide.

http://www.trinityflyshop.com/

I think late winter and spring is SMB time......very famous fishery.

Summer is the time to fish the lower end that is kind of like a big/giant spring creek.

http://www.kiene.com/portfolio-view/lewiston-lake/

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........