Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: light weight switch rods

Default light weight switch rods

Looking for comments and/or opinions regarding echo rods and echo switch rods in particular? I have read lots of reviews about Echo rods particularly the 3,4,5wt SR switch rods...haven't really found anything negative. Has anyone casted these rods? Action? Anything helps.

beachbum2...I have been an Echo/AirFlo pro for a few years now and been lucky enough own most of the SR's and even have a few of the new Switch Glass Rods...Let me know where you want to fish and what you want to do with the rod and I can give you some specific feed back according.

hogan brown

Advise for everyone except other Spey experts:

**If you buy a two handed fly rod of any kind be sure to come into Kiene's and have one of our Spey experts help you get the right line on it.

I can attest to the fact that this is very important.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

@ Mr. Kiene.........I took a spey class already w/ Jeff Putnam, who is a fabulous teacher, and we talked about lines then. However, I have a 7wt that is great for steelhead and stripers, but need something lighter. The previous post has said the Echo SR switch are great rods.....what has been your experience with them?

I would recommend the Echo SR Switch rods or TFO Deer Creek Switch rods for good entry level values.

I think you might like a 4 weight.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

BB2,

Depending on what you want it for, light switch and spey rods are a joy to fish. I'd agree with Bill - I fish a Meiser 11' 4/5, and as we come into caddis season for bluebacks and shad on the American, Feather, Sac, etc, a rod that size is perfect. I've landed steelhead up to 10 lbs on it, but that size is best for 3-6 lb fish, and isn't too much for 12-18" trout and smallmouth. I've never cast the Echo rods, but have never heard any poor reviews of them.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by cmcdhuibh View Post
    Is there a difference between a switch rod and a spey rod other than length?
    Switch 11' and under spey 11'+ obviously
    Please let me know if you manage to reach a consensus.

Most people agree anything under 11' is a switch rod, over 12' is a spey rod. But then, most also agree, switches are short spey rods. And some manufacturers of rods in the low-11 range strongly object to their products being called switch rods.

In my opinion, names do not really matter. Pick a rod to suit the rivers you fish, fish you fish for, and casting style you prefer.

One thing I see a lot that I think is a mistake is the idea that small fish = short rod, big fish = long rod. Not necessarily true.

Wayne,
    Sorry for the thread hijack, but I've hear kokes/sockeye called bluebacks and sea-run cutties called bluebacks. What valley river fish are you referring to as blueback? (curious)
    Thanks,
    John
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchubb View Post
    BB2,

Depending on what you want it for, light switch and spey rods are a joy to fish. I'd agree with Bill - I fish a Meiser 11' 4/5, and as we come into caddis season for bluebacks and shad on the American, Feather, Sac, etc, a rod that size is perfect. I've landed steelhead up to 10 lbs on it, but that size is best for 3-6 lb fish, and isn't too much for 12-18" trout and smallmouth. I've never cast the Echo rods, but have never heard any poor reviews of them.

Wayne

John, the spring steelhead on the American get referred to as bluebacks and range from 2-6 lbs. You are right though, there are several different species that get referred to as bluebacks as well.

thanks Mark!