Thread: How To Make an Old Man Happy

Smile How To Make an Old Man Happy

I know there are a bunch of us old guys on this board whose time is winding down. And there are a bunch of younger and newer members that are just getting started and are learning the skills and techniques of fly fishing. They have a long ways to go before they can earn the title of being called a” fossil” or some other term relating to being “old”.

When you get to this point in your life it becomes more and more difficult to get out and about and do the things you used to do easily. Wading on slippery rounds rocks is out of the question. Casting is limited because of rheumatoid laden joints. The knees, the shoulders, etc. all go bad from years of normal wear and tear and doing whatever life’s pleasures give us.

On a previous post there was a term I hadn’t paid much attention to, “Pay It Forward”. I assume this to mean that if you do something good for someone else without immediate profit, it’ll come back to you later when you can use the same help.

And so it was yesterday. I took two of my “older” friends up to Collins Lake for some scouting and nothing really serious. But, we were actually fishing. Trolling no longer requires casting and careful placement of flies on the water. It’s hard enough to even get in and out of the boat let alone cast.

So we get on water about 7:30 and it’s a beautiful calm morning. Bob and I agree that we’re going to pass any hook ups off to our oldest friend Don and let him really enjoy the day and memories past. Not five minutes away from the dock Bob’s rod bends over and it’s taking line. Good Fish! Bob yells, and give the rod to Don. Reluctantly, Don takes the rod and is all smiles. I keep the boat moving preventing any slack in Don’s line. After finally getting Don to take his gloves off he begins to gain line and the fish comes to the boat. Wow! What a beautiful fish full of color and about 3 pounds. Don’s biggest trout ever.

Later in the day we stop at the camp store on the way out for some ice cream and the people there want to take Don’s picture for their board and website. Their title will read; “85 year old man catches three pound rainbow on a fly”.

We made an old man smile again, and “Paid it Forward”, I think?
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

NOw that is more than awesome Tony!
    Such a cool sight to see. I bet he will never forget that day. And im sure he cant wait to get out again.
    Way to go!

Thanks for sharing Tony, what an awesome trip! It reminds me of an outing I had on the Little Truckee a few years ago with an 85 year old man who loved to present dry flies to wary bank feeders. He hooked three that day but never landed them. He was all smiles though. At the end of the day he told me "Jon, when you're my age just being out here is a catch in itself". I'll never forget that. - J.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Just found an old Trout Unlimited calender with the tag line: " You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish."

Solid. Solid. Solid- good on you guys!

That's so awesome, Tony!

Congrats to you guys,

Danged right Tony!
    GRAND job there, me man.
    And you're absolutely right. As the consequences of the past finally catch up to us in the twilight of our existence, we are always trying for just one more tide!
    ......lee s.

Great picture, great story.

Sometime in this coming September there will be a couple of pictures posted with Lee holding some "big boys."

Hey Tony,
    Great job by the entire crew.
    I remember seeing a pic of Joe Shirshac wading in water nearly armpit deep.
    Check out this Kiene post - Classic!
    http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthre...t=Joe+Shirshac

Best,
    Larry S