Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Guide Rate

That's my point. Your guide went the extra mile compared to a guide that won't take the same client again if they don't tip well. Some people are in it for more than the money and that's what gets you those large tips. I also think that the comment stating the tip covers gear, gas, insurance, etc also turned this convo. Others said the tip isn't for their gas and gear which I had agreed with. Usually the costs of the service include this stuff IF they need to replace things (which most gear is lifetime warranty and fishing gear for guides is a tax write off). The tip should be strictly for the guides "performance". In the end it's business and if a client doesn't want to tip 20% it shouldn't be frowned upon. I've never hired a guide and I'm 100% positive I'd give them at least 20% just got their knowledge BUT this business is customer service and you get all kinds on both sides.

Out of respect for another friend and fisherman, I am deleting this latest comment. It is best to agree to disagree. It is clear that there are many on both sides of this topic. Some more respectful than others...I am editing this post as I let myself stray into that category due to being very disrespected by one guides comments. I will make this my last post! Best to all. Thanks for taking part in the discussion to all that respectfully did so. To the rest...I am sorry you couldn't.
    Last edited by TyV; 03-06-2015 at 07:39 PM.

Hey, how about those Giants? Time to go fishing guys, with or without......

I know I appreciate it when someone recognizes me for a job well done and we have award programs in my business that allows for that. The tip is the guides award program and that is how we as sports show our appreciation for a job well done.

In my experience if a person whether a guide or not feels he/she did a good job and really put forth their best effort but, did not get recognized for it then they generally don't feel good about putting that same effort in the next time. On the other hand if you work hard and get rewarded or recognized for that effort you are more willing to make that same effort again. I believe that is human nature and is the basis for all awards programs.
    Last edited by tcorfey; 03-06-2015 at 08:41 PM.

My business isn't based on tips.....it's up to the client...
    The point is, the clients that don't tip, don't leave an impression one way or another....
    I just wonder if I overlooked something important.....disappointed them??
    If one doesn't feel like tipping that's fine. Maybe let the guide know you don't tip, in general, then they will understand....
    Just hoping you understand like anyone, it's nice to know we helped.

That's all.......except, I don't do videos.....

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 03-06-2015 at 09:30 PM.

So funny if all of you go back to page 1 Koffler was asking how much should you tip for a stellar trip!!! So to answer the question I would say 25%. Throw the guide a hundred dollar bill so he doesn't have to pay taxes….

Quote Originally Posted by bigfly View Post
    My business isn't based on tips.....it's up to the client...
    The point is, the clients that don't tip, don't leave an impression one way or another....
    I just wonder if I overlooked something important.....disappointed them??
    If one doesn't feel like tipping that's fine. Maybe let the guide know you don't tip, in general, then they will understand....
    Just hoping you understand like anyone, it's nice to know we helped.

That's all.......except, I don't do videos.....

Jim
    Jim, this is the type of thoughtful and well meaning posts I have come to expect from you. I appreciate your sentiments a great deal. I am very sure that you are well worth every penny that your clients pay you...and then some. It is so easy when reading words on a screen to take them not exactly how they were meant. Or to press send before you are 100% ready to do so. I still owe you a 6 pack from forever ago. I will give you a call the next time I am heading up the hill. Thank you again for what you do!

Quote Originally Posted by cyama View Post
    So funny if all of you go back to page 1 Koffler was asking how much should you tip for a stellar trip!!!
    It is quite eye-opening for me how much vitriol and ill-concealed resentment this thread seems to have generated, but I suppose that's why there is a taboo around discussing money in public.

On the original subject: I think the least I've ever tipped is around 10%, the most, in the 20-25% range.

Low end: a walk-wade trip where the guide basically parked me in a single run that I hammered for all of the (short) fishing day. For all I know this might have been the right strategy -- we were near tidewater, on a rising tide -- but, he didn't really *do* anything except walk me in and watch me cast. Also, "show me again how you tied that knot" is not a phrase I generally want to hear on a guided fishing trip.

High end: steelhead guides with high-end speycasting expertise, working long hours, out of drift boats.

I appreciate that comment, I am too flip at times...but mean no harm.
    Nor would I give a % due......
    The invite to walk water is there..

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 03-07-2015 at 11:14 AM.

It's interesting to search this topic on the net and read the posts, the articles and responses to the articles. Pretty much exactly follows the pattern we've seen here.

I've noticed on the kind of trips I do (multi-day wilderness float trips) that most guides have either on their website or on their Gear List "What's Included" and "What's Not Included." Personally, when I see "gratuities" listed under "What's Not Included," I take that to mean the guide is expecting a tip for a job well done. So that "disclosure" may be helpful to those who prefer not to tip; they can look elsewhere.

My trips are priced so much lower than my competitors' prices that I basically don't make money, I just cover my expenses for being where I love to be, so the tips make up for all the hard work and expenses (planning and logistics, shipping, dehydrating, shopping, liability insurance, sat phone costs, freight, business and guide licenses, flies, leaders, etc., rental cars, lodging and food while not in the wilderness, the rowing, the pain in the butt of pumping water, the cooking, dishwashing, on and on and on. And I do realize this was my decision, and the jury is still out on the "turning fun into work deal.) I have a hard enough time getting clients as it is because so many folks are afraid to camp in the Alaskan wilderness, so I think if I raised my rates, it will be even harder to procure clients. I mention all this because not all guides perform the same functions, fit under the same umbrella.

I guess my feeling is there is no right or wrong answer - if as a guide you expect a tip for doing a good job, maybe you should let that be known, and if you are against the concept of tipping a fishing guide, maybe either let that be known before booking or try to book with a guide with higher rates or one who doesn't care if you tip. Because apparently, as has been proven here and on other sites, we're just not going to come to a consensus as to what is proper.