Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide Rate

Default Guide Rate

What's the going rate tip wise for a full day guided trip these days assuming it's a stellar trip?

I suppose it depends on where your trip is but generally 15-20%.

Depends on your experience with your outing, how personable your guide was, what they offered, and what they taught. A good example would be my trips at Lake Davis last fall, the catch rates were the poorest in 19 years, but I still received $100 tips from guiding two anglers. My formula for tipping is simple, give X amount of dollars for how you were treated, not on how many fish were caught. - J.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

I'm certain it varies area to area, but in my area a tip in a restaurant is 15-20%, depending on service. Then you might want to ask yourself who is working harder, a waiter/waitress or a guide.

Then there's the dynamic from the other side - if a client makes your job easier as a guide, the tip is great, but the amount is icing on the cake, whereas if the client could fill a chapter in the book about how not to conduct yourself on a guided fishing trip, then I don't care how much they tip, they're never coming again, they're banned, and maybe all their relatives and offspring are banned forever and eternity. Sorry, but that was therapeutic for me.

My thinking has always been 25%: but then, I'm known as a "bleeding heart liberal." LOL.
    Recently fished the Eel/Mattole with Mark P with little success on adult steelhead. He was outstanding
    and took us over great water with sage advice. Would book him again in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S View Post
    My thinking has always been 25%: but then, I'm known as a "bleeding heart liberal." LOL.
    Recently fished the Eel/Mattole with Mark P with little success on adult steelhead. He was outstanding
    and took us over great water with sage advice. Would book him again in a heartbeat.
    Larry, I wish there was a "Like" button on here.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsquires View Post
    I'm certain it varies area to area, but in my area a tip in a restaurant is 15-20%, depending on service. Then you might want to ask yourself who is working harder, a waiter/waitress or a guide.

Then there's the dynamic from the other side - if a client makes your job easier as a guide, the tip is great, but the amount is icing on the cake, whereas if the client could fill a chapter in the book about how not to conduct yourself on a guided fishing trip, then I don't care how much they tip, they're never coming again, they're banned, and maybe all their relatives and offspring are banned forever and eternity. Sorry, but that was therapeutic for me.
    Having worked a long time as a guide and instructor (non fishing), I think this hits pretty close to home. For me, the tip is a form of communication as well: whether giving one or receiving one it can be a great indicator of just how well things went (which isn't to say how many or how big). I have had thankfully very few clients that met the qualifications for blacklisting, but interestingly enough some of them actually tipped fairly well. I have to say here too, that at least for me the manner in which the tip is given plays a big role as well.

A tip of any amount, given with clearly heartfelt gratitude is more important/valuable to me than a tip that as given in a begrudging or unappreciative manner. The most memorable tip I ever had was quite modest percentage wise, but it came from an 18 year old kid who was clearly VERY keen and enthusiastic and who learned a ton. His tip was modest compared to others that I've had, but clearly a substantial amount for him
    As for amount; you'll get plenty of opinions as there are lots of variables, but I think anywhere from %10-%30 for a good guide who did you well. If you're worried about offending them, I think you're pretty safe in that range.
    JB
    Last edited by JasonB; 03-03-2015 at 07:01 PM.
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

So, Koffler, thanks for bringing this subject up. It's an interesting subject and an important subject that is not addressed often.

As a client, I sometimes feel uncomfortable when "that time" comes. So you talk to the other clients over to the side and try to come up with a number, right?

And, by the way, there are other ways to tip the guide - a great cigar around a campfire, bourbon, wine (good wine).

I'll share that as a guide I had a client tip me what I felt was too much one time and I sent a check later to him refunding some of the tip. (I know, my wife reminds me constantly why I'll never be rich).

I just think the bottom line is be a good client and tip what you think is appropriate. We're all just trying to have a good time.

Default I'm going to get crushed for this but...

So, I would like someone to explain to me how a Fly Fishing Guide should get tipped OR rather why there is an expectation of ANY tip whatsoever. I am dead serious. I have no problem tipping for service in many industries. However, NONE of them make anywhere near the money that a good guide makes. I have always been pretty good at math so I am going to do a little. Most independent guides get $350/day or more. IF they work 20 days a month(less than a FT employee at a "normal" job) That is $7k/month and $84k/year. That's damn good money. I know many will disagree with me and I have had this discussion with friends, including JasonB on this board. I don't get it. If it's about respect or how good of a job the guide does, I would say that you wouldn't have gotten much business if you didn't. They are being paid extremely well...I don't think ANY profession service or otherwise with that level of cost/income for the provider should EVER be tipped. I am not trying to pick on fishing guides in any way. There are tons of people in the service industry that make minimum wage, yet don't get tips and aren't ever considered for tips...yet, quality guides make a very comfortable living and we should tip them?
    Last edited by TyV; 03-03-2015 at 10:28 PM.

Fish On I think your math be off by quite a bit. Most guides do not average 20 days a month. If they do they probably have a good chiropractor. Most of the good guides probably put in 150 to 180 days a year. They also have higher taxes and insurance due to being a sole proprietor. What you may not see just getting in the boat is the guide may have spent 1-2 hours getting to the launch ramp and 1-2 hours getting back to their house, probably a 12-14 hour day. Not to mention all those free guide trips they donate to various clubs and events. The guides I have met work really hard and are experts in their field. In general as Fisheye said the typical tip should be 15-20%.