Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Guide Rate

Quote Originally Posted by ycflyfisher View Post
    should the "guest" just treat their friends who happen to guide just like they would any other friends?
    This one.

If we are out fishing and we go fishing, we go fishing. Walk and wade, my water or theirs, etc.

If a guide buddy takes their boat, and their rig, etc...then like any friend I pay their freight. same as I do for a buddy who drives their car when we go skiing, or mountain biking, or uses their boat for wakeboarding...

Haven't read all the posts, but just the last few because I really can't believe this is the hottest topic on the site. I mean, who really cares, other than he who is receiving the tip, about the subject of tipping. You contract to pay for a service where you are a client, not a guest. You're quoted a price. You're obligated to pay the price, nothing more. Tip, don't tip, tip a little, tip a lot, do what you want, it's your money. Personally, if you sucked so bad that I don't tip you, you won't get another opportunity to recieve a tip from me. If you were awesome and added to the enjoyment of my day, I'll tip you and provide you with future business. In other words, I'll provide you with additional, voluntary, income, over and above that which I'm obligated to pay. If you don't like the amount I tipped, don't return my call next time... and best of luck to you.

You don't have to analize and amortize a guys business using Peachtree accounting software to justify he needs to be tipped. If your at a job and need more money, get a second job, work longer hours, change jobs, further your educaton, open your own business. That's what the rest of us do. Last thing I would do is rely on tips to make my world go round. If you feel compelled to tip, then tip. Service sucked, don't tip a penny. Why would anyone tip anyting for poor performance. What's the message you're trying to send with that?

To answer the original question, steller outings/performances typcially receive 20% from me. And anyone who bitches about recieving a 20% tip should have one's head examined!
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Default since nobody answered your question, I will

Quote Originally Posted by koffler View Post
    What's the going rate tip wise for a full day guided trip these days assuming it's a stellar trip?
    You said for "a stellar trip" - which I would translate into fish of a lifetime (24"+ for rainbow trout), several of them, guide takes a great photo of it, is able to switch to dry flies when everybody else has ping pong balls and lead and is still able to put client on fish, prepares a lunch fit for royalty, etc.

In such situations, the expected tip would be on the order of $100 per client, or $200 over the initial cost of the trip (usually ~$350-450/day).