Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Fly Show

I met up with some friends at The Fly Show who, like me, have been going for as long as I can remember there being a show. One friend commented that he no longer has high expectations, he just attends for the camaraderie.
    I agree with JD, it's going to take some overhauling, some innovation to get me back. There are other shows (in Oregon, for example) I may attend instead.
    Too bad because I think things could be turned around with an innovative brought in to look at figures and listen to the complaints of attendees and act accordingly.

I'll add another opinion, for what it's worth. Spending the money to have a booth or owning a lodge, even sometimes being a great caster or tyer, doesn't necessarily equate to be a good public speaker. Even a lot of authors have issues with public speaking.

For my real-life-world job, I'm a court reporter. I am constantly amazed when attorneys hire folks to act as expert witnesses who have a heavy accent or can't form a complete sentence, can't articulate their opinions without using technical terms that most jurors cannot understand. They can be the world's foremost expert on something, but if the jurors can't understand or follow them, WTH good is it?

So you have a choice of having a speaker who can actually speak and instead the qualification is you must have spent the money on a booth, whether you have any training or experience in public speaking? Not very smart, in my opinion.

I attended the show on Friday. This was my first visit to this show so just some perspectives from a newbie.

I met Norm at Nor-Vise and was thoroughly impressed with Norm and his vise. So much so that I bought one.

I wanted to attend a few seminars but got caught up talking to vendors and drooling over new equipment.

I was finally able to demo a 12 wt rod and that Sage Salt was amazing!

Overall I had a good time but not sure if I would go next year.

For the organizers, please post notices if a presenter has cancelled. I waited for a seminar and no one showed up. I double checked the board and location to make sure I was at the right room.

For vendors and good friends of vendors, if you see someone new that is waiting to get a chance to speak with you about business, it may be a good idea to tell your friends to wait a moment while you helped a new potential client. I understand people want to visit but the idea if this show is also to generate business for all vendors.

I personally saw a guide and his friend talking while a potential client stood there waiting. He eventually gave up and walked away. Funny thing was the guide and his friend were talking about nothing major.

I also walked up to a large booth and both sales guys were just chatting with each other. No one said a word to me or other people wandering over. Maybe their business is so good they don't need more?

Anyhow, people are people and they are free to run their business however they want. It just seems kind of silly to pay all this money to rent a booth, pay travel costs and pay staff to man the booth and turn your nose up at paying customers.

As for Nor-Vise, they were great people to deal with. Norm actually apologized for an interruption and had to cut a buddy off so he could pay attention to me. That's one reason I spent over $500 at his booth.

Btw, Sage and RIO had awesome staff!
    Last edited by DeepSea; 02-24-2015 at 03:25 PM.

DeepSea, Norm Norlander is a perfect example of someone who can speak and teach. Be sure and watch the video that comes with the vice and his online videos. I have complimented Norm on the way he speaks - so that you can follow and understand. Ever have someone leave you a voicemail message to return their call and they say their phone number so fast you can't understand it?

I wonder if the folks who put on The Fly Show check out the local forums for feedback - and if they do, whether they care.